This Instant Pot Spicy Venison Chili is made in less than 30 minutes and is cooked using deer roast. This chili is made with a variety of hot peppers to make it spicy!
Instant Pot Spicy Venison Chili
Venison makes amazingly delicious chilis and stews and this Instant Pot version kicks up the heat with the addition of a variety of peppers.
For this recipe I use leftover deer roast and turn it into chili but you can easily swap it out for ground venison or any other ground game meat if you would like.
If you want to keep it simple and are just looking for an Instant Pot spicy chili in general, swap out the game meat for ground beef.
RELATED: Instant Pot Chili
Instant Pot Spicy Chili
This chili as come kick and can be adjusted for the amount of heat you're looking for. The combination of these hot peppers have a great balance of flavor and heat, adding some kick to your chili.
- Jalapenos - You can use either jalapenos that you seed and slice yourself but I like to add the diced jalapenos with the juice from the jar. There are some extra flavors that you're missing out on if you slice them yourself.
- Chile de arbol - these chilies pack a punch and are quite tasty in chili. A great substitute for chile de arbol are japones. They are very similar in flavor and they have the same heat index. You can even substitute chile de arbol for crushed red pepper. The flavor won't quite be the same but it'll still be a nice addition to the chili.
- Serrano Peppers - The little peppers pack three times as much heat as jalapenos.
In addition to these chili peppers, this recipe also has diced tomatoes with green chilies. The green chilies and the juices give a nice flavor throughout the chili. You can choose original, mild, or hot, depending on taste preference.
All of the chili pepper flavors together in this Instant Pot Chili add some spiciness. The chilies also create a robust and filling meal.
If you're not looking for any spice in your Instant Pot Chili but want to use Venison, omit the jalapenos, chile de arbol and serrano peppers. Add in another green bell pepper or red bell pepper for texture.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Instant Pot Firehouse Chili
Ingredients in Instant Pot Spicy Chili
- Venison - Both deer roast or ground venison will work in this recipe. You can also substitute other ground game meats to make this Instant Pot Chili.
- Vegetables - Onion, green bell pepper, dark red kidney beans, and garlic.
- Diced tomatoes with green chilies
- Spices and seasonings - chili powder, cayenne powder, cumin, garlic powder, ground black pepper, paprika, onion powder, and salt.
- Chile de arbol - eight to 16 chili de arbol peppers, seeded and chopped. (Pajones are a great substitute)
- Serrano peppers - seeded and diced.
- Jalapenos - I prefer diced jalapenos in juices from the jar but seeded and sliced jalapenos can be substituted.
How to Make Instant Pot Chili
Making chili is easy in the Instant Pot and the key to success is to layer the ingredients and not to stir!
If you're using ground venison, other game, or beef, sauté it in the Instant Pot before adding any other ingredients. This locks in the flavor of the meat.
Once the meat is ready to go in the Instant Pot, the chopped onion and green bell pepper are added on top.
The remaining peppers are then prepped (seeded and sliced) and added in with the other ingredients.
All of the seasonings are sprinkled on top of the vegetables.
Next, the diced tomatoes with green chilies are added as well as the dark red kidney beans.
Top the chili off with beef stock but don't stir the ingredients! Thin liquid id what creates pressure in the Instant Pot and stirring will cause the "burn" alert on the Instant Pot.
This Instant Pot Spicy Chili is pressure cooked for 15 minutes and then a 10 minute natural release is allowed before releasing any additional pressure and removing the lid of the pot.
This Instant Pot Chili is delicious with the garnishments of serrano or jalapenos, shredded cheddar cheese, and sour cream. Parsley works well as garnishment and gives this chili a touch of color.
- 2 lbs venison roast, precooked (can be substituted for ground venison, other game meat, or ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 15 oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- ¼ cup jalapenos in liquid (or 2-3 jalapenos, seeded and diced)
- 15 oz dark red kidney beans, undrained
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and diced
- 8-16 chile de arbol, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup beef stock
- Add the cooked venison roast to the Instant Pot. If using ground meat, saute and deglaze the pot.*
- Top the meat with the diced onion and green bell pepper, and garlic.
- Add in the serrano peppers, jalapenos, and chile de arbol pepper. Adjust the heat of the chili but reducing or adding to the amount of peppers.
- Sprinkle the seasonings on top of the vegetables.
- Layer the diced tomatoes with green chilies on top.
- Pour the dark red kidney beans on top of the tomatoes.
- Pour in the 1 cup of beef stock and close the lid and vent.
- Set Instant Pot to PRESSURE COOK/MANUAL for 15 minutes.
- Once the 15 minutes is up, all the pot to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before removing the lid. (Natural release means to let it sit.)
- Open the lid, set it to saute to cook off any extra liquid if desired.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sliced serranos or jalapenos, sour cream, and parsley.
*After sauteing meat in the pot, the pot will need to be scraped so that no bits are stuck to the bottom or else a burn error will appear on the Instant Pot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 571Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 219mgSodium: 1417mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 6gSugar: 10gProtein: 78g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.