This Vanilla Cinnamon Sugar Swirl Cupcakes recipe is often requested for social gatherings. These cupcakes are light, fluffy, and full of cinnamon deliciousness.
After all these years of making different types of cupcakes, these are the ones people remember! Surprisingly easy to make, these cupcakes don’t disappoint!
The Vanilla Cinnamon Sugar Swirl Cupcakes Recipe
You will find real cinnamon throughout the cupcake. Swirled inside the cupcake itself and generously mixed into the buttercream frosting. By adding a light dusting of cinnamon on top of these cupcakes, it gives it a beautiful finishing touch.
The Right Amount of Cinnamon
Cinnamon can be tricky – sometimes you can add just too much and it’s overwhelming. Certainly, this is not the case with this recipe. Although it has the cinnamon spice throughout the cupcake, it is more subtle than overpowering.
Also, making and baking these cupcakes will awaken your senses with the enticing scent of vanilla throughout your home.
Cinnamon Swirl Cupcakes
To create the delicious cinnamon flavor in these cupcakes start by lining your cupcake pans. Once they are lined, scoop 1 TBSP of batter into the liners and top it with 1/4 tsp of the cinnamon-sugar mixture and repeat the steps until the cupcake liners are halfway full.
Bake the prepared cupcakes in the oven for 16 to 18 minutes. There should be minimum crumbs when inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcakes. Allow these cupcakes to cool completely before attempting to frost them.
If you frost them while the cupcakes are still warm the frosting will melt and slide off the cupcake. Be patient!
Spruce Up Your Cupcake
I believe that making a cupcake shouldn’t be difficult. A cupcake can easily be made by baking a vanilla cupcake and frosting it with buttercream. Well, that’s how simple this recipe is! It’s an extra step for the cinnamon – it’s as simple as that.
These cupcakes don’t take a lot of work but they succeed in elevating your everyday cupcake. No one will even know how little work it took to make them. 😉 Additionally, they’re a lot of fun to make and they definitely spark creativity.
RELATED: Red Velvet Cupcakes
A Favorite to Those Near and Dear
My mother requests these Vanilla Cinnamon Sugar Swirl cupcakes for her birthday every year. In fact, she doesn’t even have to ask, she just expects them. They’re a real treat for friends and loved ones, they’ll love them so much they’ll request them time after time!
I’d had a lot of great feedback on Pinterest for those who have tried this cupcake and absolutely loves it! In fact, they make it for special occasions, too!
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 3 egg whites
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
Cinnamon Sugar Mixture
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
Vanilla Cinnamon Sugar Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together flour, cinnamon, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder in mixing bowl. I use my electric mixer.
- Add butter (room temperature), egg whites, sour cream, vanilla, and milk - Mix until smooth (no lumps).
- Add cupcake liners to cupcake pan.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Place 1 tbsp of batter into each cupcake liner
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp of cinnamon sugar mixture on top of cupcake batter.
- Repeat steps until liners are half way full.
- Sprinkle a little more cinnamon sugar mixture on top of half-filled liners
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with minimal crumbs
- Allow to cool for a few minutes
- Remove cupcakes and continue cooling on wire rack.
For the Frosting
- Mix room temperature butter and shortening until smooth.
- Add 1 tsp of vanilla, mix until well blended
- Add powdered sugar one cup at a time and mix until well blended. (Mixture will be stiff)
- Mix in cinnamon until well blended.
- Add in milk 1 tbsp at a time. Add until right consistency.
- Pipe cupcakes with frosting.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar if desired.
Wait until cupcakes are completely cool before frosting.
This recipe is easily doubled and the frosting recipe is great on other cupcake batters as well!
Tip: If you want cupcakes with tall frosting, prepare 2 batches of frosting.
Like this recipe? Check out my Caramel Drizzled Brown Sugar Vanilla Cupcakes!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 436Total Fat: 19.8gSaturated Fat: 10.3gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 117mgCarbohydrates: 63.9gFiber: 1.3gSugar: 49.8gProtein: 3g