Hello, Harry Potter fan! These butterbeer cupcakes are made with a delicious blend of flavors that create a flavorful butterscotch and vanilla flavor.
These butterscotch cupcakes are frosted with butterscotch buttercream and drizzled with butterscotch sauce.
What’s in Butterbeer?
Contrary to what some may think, there is no beer in butterbeer and it is non-alcoholic. Much like root beer or cream soda, butterbeer is made with butterscotch and vanilla.
Of course, butterbeer can be made alcoholic if you wish for adult parties!
Harry Potter Cupcakes
Butterbeer is a big thing in the Harry Potter books anytime while visiting The Three Broomsticks Inn. These cupcakes are a yummy treat to share during International Harry Potter Day or during birthday parties.
Your party guests can have the flavorful and wonderful flavors that Harry Potter got to experience for the first time in the third book- Harry Potter and the Prisioner of Azkaban.
These butterbeer cupcakes are also a fun surprise for a Harry Potter movie marathon served with some delicious butterbeer and popcorn.
RELATED: Pumpkin Gingerbread Cupcakes
What Ingredients are in Butterbeer Cupcakes?
- Butterscotch morsels
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar, packed
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Vegetable Oil
What’s in Butterbeer Frosting?
- Unsalted butter
- Butterscotch sauce (butterscotch sundae syrup works too if you don’t want to make homemade butterscotcch sauce)
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Milk if needed should frosting be too thick for piping
- Butterscotch sauce for drizzling
RELATED: Harry Potter’s Butterbeer
How to Make Butterbeer Cupcakes
Making butterbeer cupcakes is easy and this recipe creates light and fluffy cupcakes that are full of flavor.
Prepare the oven and cupcake pans- Preheat the oven to 375° and line muffin pans with 24 liners or grease the tins.
Melt the butterscotch- In a small saucepan, heat to medium-low and add the water and butterscotch morsels. Stir until melted and remove from heat and allow the butterscotch to cool.
Combine the wet ingredients- In a large bowl, cream together the room temperature eggs and oil. Beat in the granulated sugar and brown sugar until the mixture is creamy.
Add the melted butterscotch- Stir in the melted butterscotch morsels.
Combine the dry ingredients- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Mix the two mixtures- Add half of the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, beat slowly. Add half of the milk and repeat until all ingredients are mixed in. Careful not to overbeat – it will cause the cupcakes to be dense.
Bake the butterbeer cupcakes- Fill the muffin tins halfway and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure the centers come out clean before removing them from the oven.
Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting. If the cupcakes are frosted while they are still warm, the frosting will melt and slide off of the cupcakes.
How to make Butterbeer Frosting
Start with room temperature ingredients- Beat the room temperature unsalted butter until creamy. Mix in the butterscotch sauce, vanilla extract, and salt until mixed well.
Add the powdered sugar- Slowly beat in the powdered sugar. Add a little at a time to prevent a powdery mess.
Add milk if needed- If the frosting is too thick, add a little milk at a time to make the frosting easy to pipe.
Once frosted, drizzle additional butterscotch sauce.
Harry Potter Party
Butterbeer and butterbeer cupcakes are a must at a Harry Potter themed party and to make your party even more special, use cupcake liners to represent your favorite Hogwarts house and stick cupcake toppers in the cupcakes to make them extra special for your party guests.
RELATED: Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes
- 2/3 cup butterscotch morsels
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line muffin tins with 24 liners or grease the tins.
- In a small saucepan, heat to medium-low and add the water and butterscotch morsels. Stir until melted and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, cream together the room temperature eggs and vegetable oil.
- Beat in the granulated sugar and brown sugar.
- Add the melted butterscotch morsels.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add half of the dry ingredients into the wet mixture, beat slowly.
- Add half of the milk and repeat until all ingredients are mixed in. Mix until just incorporated.
- Fill the muffin tins halfway and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. (Check with a toothpick for doneness.)
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Beat the room temperature unsalted butter until creamy.
- Mix in the butterscotch sauce, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Slowly beat in the powdered sugar.
- If needed, add a little milk to make the frosting easy to pipe.
- Once frosted, drizzle additional butterscotch sauce.
You can substitute homemade butterscotch sauce with bottled butterscotch sundae syrup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 574Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 351mgCarbohydrates: 82gFiber: 1gSugar: 66gProtein: 6g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.