Warm, comforting, and delicious Instant Pot Sausage and Tortellini Soup made with mild Italian sausage, diced tomatoes, cannellini beans, carrots, and more! Made in less than 30 minutes!
Quick Weeknight Meal
This Instant Pot Sausage and Tortellini soup is ready to eat in less than 30 minutes. The first step to making this soup is to saute the Italian sausage in the Instant Pot.
I like larger bits of sausage for this soup and I used the ground variety because it takes a step out of having to remove the sausage from the casings.
Once the sausage is cooked and excess grease is drained from the pot, chicken broth is added to the pot and the pot is deglazed.
Deglazing the pot is quite simple, use a spoon to scrape any bits of cooked on sausage from the liner of the pot.
All the veggies and the spices are added to the pot except for just two ingredients: the baby spinach and the cheese tortellini.
These are added at the end and are sauteed for just a few minutes before serving.
Hearty and Delicious Instant Pot Sausage and Tortellini Soup
Delicious and hearty veggies of diced tomatoes, white onion, and cloves of garlic are added into this soup.
Additionally, added to this soup are julienned carrots and chopped celery, and cannellini beans.
I use reduced-sodium chicken broth in this recipe as well to off-set the salt added into the Italian sausage and there is no added salt in this recipe.
RELATED: Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew
Instant Pot Sausage and Tortellini Soup
Adding the cheese tortellini and sauteeing after the Instant Pot has done pressurizing prevents the tortellini from overcooking and blowing up.
It's added at the very end because it only takes about 3 minutes to cook the tortellini on a regular stove-top!
The baby spinach is added at the end as well because it prevents the spinach from wilting down to nothing.
What's in Instant Pot Sausage and Tortellini Soup?
- Mild Italian Sausage - you can use hot sausage if you want it spicy.
- Vegetables - Onion, tomatoes, carrots, and celery, and garlic
- Legumes - cannellini beans
- Seasonings - basil, pepper, fennel
- Chicken broth - reduced sodium
- Cheese tortellini- fresh or frozen
RELATED: Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 lb ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
- 15.5 oz cannellini beans, drained
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1½ teaspoon fennel
- 3 cup chicken broth, reduced-sodium
- 19 oz cheese tortellini
- 2 cups baby spinach
Instant Pot Directions
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE and cook the mild Italian sausage. Break into medium-sized bites. Drain grease if necessary.
- Add the 3 cups of chicken broth and deglaze the pot by scraping any stuck-on bits off the bottom of the liner.
- Add in the garlic cloves, diced onion, diced tomatoes, pepper, basil, carrots, celery, and cannellini beans.
- Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK for 6 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to NATURALLY RELEASE pressure for 10 minutes before releasing any remaining pressure and removing the lid.
- Set the Instant Pot back to SAUTE and add in the cheese tortellini and the baby spinach. Allow it to saute for 3 minutes and serve.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat and brown the mild Italian sausage. Break into medium-sized bites. Drain any excess grease.
- Add in the garlic and the diced onions and allow to cool for about 3-5 minutes before removing from heat.
- In a large pot, combine the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, pepper, basil, fennel, carrots, celery, and cannellini beans.
- Add in the ingredients from the skillet.
- Allow the pot to simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Bring the pot to a boil and add in the cheese tortellini and the baby spinach and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- Store in an airtight container.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Instant Pot White Cheddar Jack Mac N Cheese
- Mini Chicken Pot Pies with Puff Pastry
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Taco Soup
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.