Instant Pot Italian-Style Pot Roast Pot Roast Sandwiches made in the pressure cooker with stewed tomatoes, onion, garlic, and seasonings and served on a bun.
Dump and Start Pot Roast
I love dump and start meals because it makes mealtime so simple! The prep time on this recipe takes very little time at all because most of the ingredients are either seasonings or canned. Almost all the recipes out there for pressure cooker includes water, this one doesn't. Don't stress, no worry to freak out! The liquid from the cans of stewed tomatoes is more than enough liquid to prevent a BURN notice on your pressure cooker. I use a slotted spoon to remove the pot roast and the veggies from the extra liquid. You can also create a slurry if you want to create gravy from the extra broth.
*TIP: To create gravy from the extra broth use a slurry of 3 tablespoon of cornstarch and 3 tablespoon of water and then add into the pot while cooking on Saute.
Instant Pot Italian-Style Pot Roast Sandwiches
While I make this Instant Pot Italian-Style pot roast, I shred it and serve it on a bun. It's fork-tender so it's great to make into sandwiches. It also makes it a great option for potlucks and picnics! When I make this, I slice red potatoes and season them with paprika, salt, and pepper. I then fry them in my air fryer for 16 minutes. I make them while my Instant Pot is naturally releasing pressure. This whole meal takes very little effort and it's a complete meal!
Slow Cooker Option
This Italian-Style Pot Roast can be made in the Instant Pot with the same ingredients. The only difference is that the cooking time is different. To make this recipe in the slow cooker, you will cook it on the LOW setting for 6-8 hours. In my opinion, using a pressure cooker to make this saves tons of time and you can make it on short notice (we've all been there!). I also find that making in the pressure cooker tastes just as it would have slow cooking all day.
- 3 lb beef chuck roast*
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15 oz stewed tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar, packed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for searing
- 8 hamburger buns
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute and add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Cut chuck roast into 3 large pieces and place in the Instant Pot to sear on all sides.
- Press Cancel on the Instant Pot, and scrape the bottom of the liner to deglaze the pot.
- Add in the onion, garlic, vinegar, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings.
- Pour in the stewed tomatoes on top of the chuck roast - Do Not Stir.
- Close the lid and set to MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK (Whichever setting your pressure cooker has).
- Set timer for 60 minutes.
- Once the time is up, allow the pot to Naturally Release for 15 minutes before opening the lid.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the pot roast and veggies.
- Serve alone or serve on sandwiches.
*This recipe uses a 3 lb chuck roast. Pressure cooking times vary. Thawed chuck roasts cook for 20 minutes per pound and frozen chuck roasts cook for 30 minutes per pound. Natural release times stay the same.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 10.4gSaturated Fat: 2.9gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 523mgCarbohydrates: 29.2gFiber: 1.8gSugar: 8.1gProtein: 22.1g
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.