M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies are deliciously soft and chewy and they’re a favorite during the Holidays!
The candy colors can be swapped for any holiday or occasion! They’re perfect all year round and especially when you are in the mood for a soft and chewy cookie.
RELATED: Snowball Christmas Cookies
Holiday M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
Whether you’re celebrating Valentine’s Day, Thanksgiving, or Christmas, these cookies are sure to fit! During Valentine’s Day, you can substitute red and green for pink and red.
Great colors for Thanksgiving would be Brown, Red, and Orange. And of course, my favorite, red and green for Christmas! Get creative, this cookie is very versatile to fit whatever your occasion may be.
Ingredients in M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Eggs – room temperature eggs blend easier into the cookie dough.
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour – spooned and leveled
- Baking soda
- Chocolate chips
How to Make M&M Cookies
Combine the wet ingredients- In a large bowl combine shortening, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Add in eggs, one at a time.
Mix in the dry ingredients- Add in salt and baking soda. Slowly add in the spooned and leveled flour, mixing until combined.
Add in the mix-ins- Stir in semi-sweet chocolate chips and M&M’s.
Scoop the cookies- Roll into 1-inch balls or use a #30 cookie scoop to scoop the cookies onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
Bake the cookies- Bake for about 9 minutes (until bottoms are slightly browned). Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes and transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
TIP: Once the cookies are out of the oven, take the back of a spoon or a drinking glass and press gently onto the top so the cookies flatten a bit. Top the cookies with additional chocolate chips and M&M’s.
After baking these chocolate chip M&M cookies and before they are completely set, add an extra chocolate chip and M&M pieces to the tops of the cookies. It’ll make them look even more delicious and make them picture perfect!
RELATED: Soft & Chewy Gingersnap Cookies
Tips for Soft and Chewy Cookies
- Spoon & level the flour – Spoon and level the flour by scooping the flour out of the container by the spoonful and then leveling off the top of the measuring cup. This method will reduce up to 50% extra flour that isn’t in the recipe.
- Don’t overbake – Don’t overbake cookies that you want to be soft and chewy. Cookies continue to bake as they rest on the cookie sheet. Look for golden brown edges and then remove the cookies from the oven to rest.
- Sugar ratio – Use more brown sugar than granulated sugar – a higher brown sugar ratio to granulated sugar will produce a chewier cookie.
- Keep the cookies uniform in size – Using a cookie scoop for the cookie dough will help the cookies bake evenly.
- Cream the ingredients – Cream the shortening (or butter in other cookie recipes) together with the sugars until the sugars are broken down and creamy. This will produce a softer cookie.
- Know your oven – Baking times vary so know your oven when baking cookies. Keep an eye on the cookies when it’s close to the end of the baking time given in the recipe.
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&M's
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl combine shortening, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Add in eggs, one at a time.
- Add in salt and baking soda.
- Slowly add in flour, mixing until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and M&M's.
- Roll into 1 inch balls or use a #30 cookie scoop to scoop the cookies onto a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 9 minutes (until bottoms are slightly browned).
- Gently press the tops of the cookies down using the back of a spoon or the bottom of a drinking glass to flatten the cookies a bit.
- Top with additional chocolate chips and M&M's.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
*Top with additional M&M's and chocolate chips to give the cookies a more festive look!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 164mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 3g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.