This dump and start Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is perfect for Instant Pot beginners or for seasoned users!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is Great for Beginners
This Instant Pot recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup is incredibly easy to make. It is as simple as adding all of the ingredients except the garnishments to the inner liner of the pot and pressure cooking it. It really is that simple!
In less than 30 minutes you have an incredibly flavorful and tender chicken and well-seasoned soup.
Ingredients in Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Breasts – fresh or frozen
- Vegetables – onion, jalapenos, onion, and garlic
- Black beans, drained and rinsed
- Small red beans – drained and rinsed
- Diced tomatoes with chilies
- Taco Seasoning – packet or 2 tablespoons of homemade taco seasoning mix
- Super sweet corn – frozen is best
- Chicken broth – low sodium
Garnishments for Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Freshly sliced avocado – dipping the slices in lime juice helps preserve their freshness
- Tri-color tortilla strips
- Homemade tortilla strips
- Lime Wedges
- Monterey Jack Cheese
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
Since this is a dump and start meal, it is incredibly easy to make! The only knife work required in this recipe is to dice the jalapenos and the onion. To save even more time when making this recipe, skip the knife and use a Food Processing Food Chopper. It’s quicker and convenient!
I keep mine handy especially when dicing vegetables into fine pieces or making salsa.
The next step is to add the chicken into the inner liner of the pot. You can use frozen or you can use fresh chicken.
TIP: If using frozen chicken, increase the pressure cooking time to 20 minutes instead of 15 minutes to ensure fully cooked chicken.
Next, add the taco seasoning packet (or homemade!) on top of the chicken. Top the seasoning with the diced jalapenos and garlic, and onion.
You will want to drain and rinse the small red beans and the black beans. Once they are rinsed, layer them on top of the other ingredients in the pot.
Add the diced tomatoes and chilies as well as the super sweet corn.
The chicken broth is then added to the pot and the lid and vent is closed.
Once the chicken is done pressure cooking, allow the pot to naturally release for 10 minutes before releasing any additional pressure.
Carefully open the lid away from the face and use two forks to shred the meat. You can also remove the chicken from the pot and use a hand mixer to shred the chicken. Once shredded, add the chicken back to the pot and stir.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Instant Pot Firehouse Chili
Homemade Tortilla Strips
If you don’t have any tortilla strips on hand you can easily make your own at home with two ingredients.
You will need flour tortillas and oil to fry them in.
To make homemade tortilla strips, heat a skillet over medium low heat and add a small amount of oil to the skillet.
Once the oil is heated up, add the tortilla to the skillet, allow the tortilla to fry for about 1 minute, flip, and heat for another minute.
Remove from the skillet and continue making the desired amount of tortillas. Four tortillas usually make enough to serve with the Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Use a pizza cutter or knife to slice the fried tortillas into strips.
TIP: Once the skillet is hot and oil is added, flick a small amount of water onto the skillet. If the skillet sizzles and the water dances around in the skillet, it is time to add the tortillas.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp garlic
- 2 jalapenos, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can small red beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 package super sweet corn
- 32 oz chicken broth
- avocado, sliced
- lime, sliced
- Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded
- Tortilla Strips
- Add the chicken to the Instant Pot.
- Add the taco seasoning (Packet or 2 tbsp homemade mix)
- Top with diced onion, garlic, and jalapenos.
- Rinse and drain the small red beans and the black beans.
- Add to the pot.
- Top with the diced tomatoes with chilies.
- Add the super sweet corn.
- Pour in the chicken broth and close the lid and the vent.
- Set the Instant Pot to 15 minutes on MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK.
- Allow a 10-minute natural release.
- Open the lid carefully and shred the chicken.
- Serve with tortilla strips, shredded cheese, avocado, and lime wedges.
*In place of tri-color tortilla strips, slice flour tortillas and add a small amount of oil to a pan. Add the tortillas and fry on each side, about 1 minute each.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 1283mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 11gSugar: 6gProtein: 36g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.