Lemon Blueberry Sweet Rolls are a fun and tasty spin on cinnamon rolls with refreshing fruity flavors.
These made from scratch sweet rolls are easy to make and take just one hour rising time. These tasty sweet rolls are made with fresh blueberries and lemons.
Ingredients in Lemon Blueberry Sweet Rolls
Simple ingredients are used to make these sweet rolls. For the ingredients list and their amounts, continue to the recipe card for the printable recipe.
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Rapid Rise yeast
- Blueberries - frozen blueberries can be substituted
- Confectioner's Sugar
Made From Scratch Dough
This recipe uses simple ingredients to make the dough and it doesn't take very long for the dough to come together. The dough using the same method of cinnamon rolls as well as the way it is rolled and baked.
To make the sweet rolls dough, two cups of the all-purpose flour is combined with the yeast, sugar, and salt. Once those dry ingredients are mixed, the butter is melted together with the water.
The water should be 120°F to activate the yeast.
The butter and water mixture is added into the flour mixture as well as the egg.
The mixture is then combined using a dough hook and two more cups of flour is added one at a time.
Using the dough hook, combine the sweet rolls dough until it forms into a ball. If the dough is too sticky, add a small amount of flour at a time until it is just slightly sticky.
If combining by hand, it will take about 10 minutes of kneading by hand to get a springy, slightly sticky dough.
Cover and dough with a towel and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
Once the dough is done resting, turn the dough onto the counter and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into a 10x15 rectangle.
Lemon Blueberry Sweet Rolls Filling
While the dough is resting, prepare the lemon blueberry filling by combining the blueberries and the granulated sugar in a saucepan.
Set the cooktop burner to medium-low and allow the blueberries to release their juices, stirring occasionally. Add in 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and remove from the heat.
The blueberries will thicken once removed. Allow the blueberry mixture to cool before using. The cornstarch will thicken the blueberries.
Once the dough is rolled out into the 10x15 rectangle, spread one tablespoon of melted butter on top of the dough with a pastry brush.
Add the cooled blueberry filling to the dough, spreading evenly.
Starting at the long end, roll the dough up tightly into a roll. The dough is then ready to be sliced into 1 inch sections. A serrated knife or dental floss works great to slice the dough.
Prepare a 13x9 baking dish by spraying it with baking spray. Transfer the sliced sweet rolls dough cut side down to the baking dish. Cover the dish and allow the dough to rise for one hour before baking.
RELATED: Honey Cinnamon Rolls
Baking and Glazing the Lemon Blueberry Sweet Rolls
After the prepared sweet rolls are done proofing, it is time to bake them. Place the baking dish in an oven preheated to 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
Remove the sweet rolls from the oven and allow them to cook for 15-20 minutes before glazing.
To prepare the glaze, zest, and juice on lemon by using a lemon zester and juicer. Combine the zest of the one lemon with three tablespoons of lemon juice together with the confectioner's sugar and a pinch of salt.
Drizzle the lemon glaze on top of the cooled lemon blueberry sweet rolls before serving.
RELATED: Cake Mix Blueberry Muffins
- 4 ½ - 5 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ¼ teaspoon Rapid Rise yeast (1 packet)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups water
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 ¾ cup confectioner's sugar
- Pinch of salt
Sweet Rolls Dough
- Combine 2 cups of the all-purpose flour together with the 2 ¼ teaspoon of rapid rise yeast, sugar, and salt into a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. *
- Melt the butter and add it to the water that is heated is to 120°F.
- Pour the butter mixture into the flour and combine well.
- Add in the egg.
- Add 2 cups of flour ONE cup at a time to the mixture.
- The dough should be slightly sticky. If the dough is too sticky, add in more flour a little at a time.
- Cover and allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Combine the blueberries and granulated sugar together in a saucepan.
- Heat on medium-low and allow the berries to release their juices and gently smash the berries.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and cornstarch.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the blueberries to cool.
How to Assemble the Sweet Rolls
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Prepare a 13x9 baking dish by spraying with baking spray and set it aside.
- Roll the dough out into a 10x15 rectangle. Sprinkle the rolling surface and a rolling pin with flour is necessary.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and spread it onto the rolled dough using a pastry brush.
- Spread the cooled blueberry filling onto the dough.
- Tightly roll up the dough starting at the long size.
- Use a serrated knife or floss to slice the rolls into 1-inch slices.
- Place the rolls cut side down into the baking dish.
- Cover and allow the dough to rise for 1 hour.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow the rolls to cool for at least 15 minutes before icing.
Lemon Sweet Rolls Icing
- Zest one lemon and combine it with three tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Stir in the confectioner's sugar and the pinch of salt.
- Stir until the lumps are removed and drizzle over the cooled rolls.
* You can make the dough by hand if desired. It will take about 10 minutes of hand kneading to create a springy, slightly sticky dough.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 4.8gSaturated Fat: 2.6gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 229mgCarbohydrates: 73.9gFiber: 2gSugar: 36.4gProtein: 5.8g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.