Irish Soda Bread is incredibly easy to make and uses basic ingredients. Soda bread is unleavened and uses baking soda in place of yeast. It also uses buttermilk to create flavor and texture.
Fresh From The Oven
Hot and fresh from the oven is the best way to serve this Irish Soda Bread. It’s best served with jam, jellies, or butter.
This is a bread that is most enjoyed fresh and I don’t really recommend making it ahead of time. This is a quick bread recipe so it takes little time to prepare this recipe because it is unleavened, but however, if you do choose to make ahead, it’s best to wrap the bread tightly so that it doesn’t dry out.
It can be reheated in the oven by wrapping it in foil and heating it until warm at about 180°F.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Honey Wheat Bread (Outback Steakhouse Copycat)
Irish Soda Bread – Not Just For St. Patrick’s Day
Sure, this Irish Soda Bread is great to serve in celebration of St. Patty’s Day, but it’s also a great bread to serve for no special occasion.
This soda bread has quite a few variations including caraway seeds, raisins, and even chocolate chips.
If no buttermilk is on hand, it can easily be substituted for a mixture of lemon juice and milk or white vinegar and milk. Simply add 1 tbsp of white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of regular milk.
Allow it to sit for 5 minutes before adding it to the recipe.
RELATED: Irish Champ (Irish Mashed Potatoes)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk, divided
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
- Combine the 1 cup of buttermilk, sugar, egg, and ½ cup of the softened butter.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine the ingredients well using your hands and transfer it to the baking sheet.
- Shape into a ball, slice a "x" across the top with a pastry cutter or knife.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until the bread is cooked through.
- Serve warm with butter, jams, or jellies.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419Total Fat: 18.2gSaturated Fat: 11.2gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 350mgCarbohydrates: 55.8gFiber: 1.7gSugar: 8.3gProtein: 7.9g