These M&M Halloween sugar cookies are soft and chewy with M&M candies mix-ins. These sugar cookies are incredibly easy to make and are a fun and delicious Halloween treat!
These sugar cookies have that wonderful vanilla flavor you would expect in a classic sugar cookie but they’re so much easier to make! No reason to roll out or to use a cookie cutter. Simply scoop the cookie dough into balls, chill the dough and then bake! To make these cookies extra festive, pop a few Ghoul’s Mix M&M’s on the tops of the cookies fresh out of the oven.
Ingredients In M&M Halloween Sugar Cookies
- Unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Egg + 1 egg yolk
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- Baking soda
- Ghoul’s mix M&M’s
- Halloween sprinkles
RELATED: Sweet & Salty Halloween Snack Mix
How to Make Halloween Sugar Cookies
Cream together the butter and sugar – Beat the softened unsalted butter until creamy. Beat in the packed brown sugar and the granulated sugar until blended well – about 3 to 5 minutes.
Beat in the egg – Beat in the egg and egg yolk as well as the vanilla extract until incorporated.
TIP: An egg separator is useful to separate the egg white from the egg yolk easily and without making a mess.
Combine the dry ingredients – In a separate bowl, combine the spooned and leveled flour together with the baking soda, cornstarch, and salt.
Blend the dry ingredients into the butter mixture – Slowly mix the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until combined. It will be sticky.
Stir in the mix-ins- Using a spoon or mixer on low speed, stir in the 1 cup of Halloween M&M’s and Halloween sprinkles.
Scoop the cookie dough – Scoop the cookie dough into 1.5 tablespoon cookie balls (#40 cookie scoop) and place them in a covered container and chill the dough for at least 3 hours.
Bake – Bake in the preheated oven for 11-12 minutes.
Remove and decorate – Remove the cookies from the oven and press additional M&M’s and sprinkles into the tops of each cookie.
Cool and store – Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely. Store these M&M Halloween Sugar Cookies in an air-tight container for up to 3-5 days for maximum freshness.
Do I Have to Chill Cookie Dough?
It depends. For this particular cookie dough, yes, you do need to chill it. If this dough is not chilled, the cookies will spread way too much and the cookies will be ultra-thin and run into each other while baking.
If you’re short on time (or patience!) these No Chill M&M Candies Cookies might be what you’re looking for. Simply swap out the color of the M&M’s to fit the theme or occasion.
Tips for Baking Halloween Sugar Cookies
Don’t skip chilling the dough for these Halloween Sugar Cookies – The dough is very soft and sticky and baking the cookies without chilling will cause them to fail. Patience is key when making this recipe!
Keep the dough chilled – Bake these cookies one baking sheet at a time. After removing the cookie dough balls from the container and placing them on the cookie sheets, place them back in the refrigerator to chill while the sheet of cookies bakes. You want the dough to stay as cold as possible.
Can You Freeze Sugar Cookie Dough?
Yes, you can freeze this sugar cookie dough! This sugar cookie dough isn’t for cookie cutter cookies as it does spread but using a cookie scoop to scoop the cookie dough into one and a half tablespoons of dough will make it easy to grab frozen cookie dough from the freezer and bake as many or as little as you want at any given time.
To bake the frozen sugar cookies, there is no need to remove the cookie dough from the freezer to allow it to thaw before baking. Simply preheat the oven add the frozen cookie dough balls to the baking sheet and bake for the time instructed in the recipe.
Frozen cookie dough stays good in the freezer when stored properly for 3 months.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Ghoul’s mix M&M’s
- 1/8 cup Halloween sprinkles
- Beat the softened unsalted butter until creamy.
- Add the brown sugar and the granulated sugar and beat until blended well - about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Beat in the egg and egg yolk as well as the vanilla extract until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the spooned and leveled flour together with the baking soda, cornstarch, and salt.
- Slowly mix the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until combined. It will be sticky.
- Using a spoon or mixer on low speed, stir in the 1 cup of Halloween M&M’s and Halloween sprinkles.
- Scoop the cookie dough into 1.5 tablespoon cookie balls (#40 cookie scoop) and chill them in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the chilled cookie dough onto one cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time in the preheated oven for 11-12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and press additional M&M’s and sprinkles into the tops of each cookie.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an air-tight container.
Do not skip the chilling instruction for this recipe. Skipping will cause the cookies to spread too thin and to run together.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 100mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 2g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.