Carolina-Style Vinegar BBQ Chicken made in the Instant Pot and served as chicken sliders. Served with caramelized onions and pickles.
Instant Pot Chicken
Making chicken in the Instant Pot is incredibly easy. The key to making chicken in a pressure cooker is to naturally release pressure before removing the lid. Otherwise, the chicken will come out dry and rubbery. Naturally releasing pressure prevents these very common complaints when making chicken in a pressure cooker.
When making this recipe, there is a lot of liquid remaining in the pot after pressure cooking. When making this recipe, you want the chicken to soak the juices back up and the best way of doing this is to use a handheld mixer to shred the chicken. By shredding the chicken this way, the juices will soak back into the chicken while the beaters shred the chicken breasts.
Carolina-Style Vinegar BBQ
Carolina-Style BBQ is vinegar-based and is packed full of flavor. It’s incredibly easy to put the ingredients together and this particular recipe is perfect for the pressure cooker. While the chicken is pressurizing, the flavors of apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, and mustard infuse into the chicken and the result is juicy and tender shredded chicken.
Instant Pot Chicken BBQ Sliders
Sliders are perfect when serving a large crowd and my favorite to use for this recipe are brioche rolls.
Caramelized onions are perfect as a topping on these Carolina-Style Chicken Sliders. To make caramelized onions, heat olive oil in a skillet and add a tad bit of butter. Once melted, add sliced onions to the skillet, sprinkle with granulated sugar and salt, and saute for a few minutes. Occasionally stir the onions while they’re sauteeing. It’s really that easy!
Pickles are another favorite when serving these Instant Pot chicken sliders and the bread and butter variety are a great match.
Of course, coleslaw goes hand in hand with BBQ and makes a great topping.
- 1 lb chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, less or more to taste
- 2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- slider buns
- Add the boneless and skinless chicken breasts into the liner of the Instant Pot.
- Combine the vinegars, sugar, Worchestershire sauce, mustard, and the spices together and pour them on top of the chicken.
- Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to the MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK setting and cook for 10 minutes.
- Allow the pot to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before removing the lid.
- Use a handheld mixer to shred the chicken. There will be liquid in the pot but the chicken will soak most of it back up.
- When serving, serve with a slotted spoon or tongs.
- Serve with caramelized onions, pickles, or other desired toppings on buns.
Serving Size:1 Slider
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 12.4gSaturated Fat: 5.2gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 123mgSodium: 280mgCarbohydrates: 26.6gFiber: 1.1gSugar: 12.2gProtein: 20.6g