Family-friendly and quick to make, this Frito pie is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner that the family will love.
This easy recipe is made using simple ingredients that are layered and topped with cheesy and baked until the cheese is hot and melted.
Ingredients in Frito Pie
The ingredients for this Frito Pie are easy to find and prepare. For the ingredient amounts and preparation instructions please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of the post!
- Ground beef - lean ground beef reduces the amount of fat that needs to be drained from the skillet
- Tomato Sauce
- Enchilada sauce
- Onion - diced
- Spices - garlic powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, chili powder, paprika, and salt
- Black beans - drained and rinsed
- Super sweet corn - I always use frozen
- Monterey Jack Cheese - shredded
- Mild Cheddar Cheese - shredded
- Fritos - a 9.25 OZ bag
- Scallions - for garnish
RELATED: Meatball Sub Casserole
How to Make Frito Pie
Prepare the beef: Heat a skillet to medium heat and prepare the ground beef by cooking it and crumbling the meat until it is no longer pink. Add the diced onions and cook them along with the beef. Drain the fat from the beef and break the beef into crumbled pieces. A meat chopper is a perfect tool to break the meat apart and crumble it.
Season the beef: Season the crumbled ground beef with minced garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes, chili powder, paprika, and salt. Mix the seasoning into the beef and stir until well seasoned and combined. Add the enchilada sauce and the tomato sauce into the seasoned beef and stir to combine.
The tomatoes with chilies (ROTEL) are then added until combined. Drained and rinsed black beans are added into the mixture as well as the super sweet corn. The mixture is allowed to simmer for a few minutes to allow the flavors to marry before pouring the mixture into the baking dish.
Layer the ingredients: Spread half a bag of Fritos on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Top with the beef mixture and sprinkle a little more than half of the shredded cheddar cheese and Monterey Jack cheese on top of the beef.
Top with the remaining Fritos and the remaining shredded cheese. When the Frito Pie is out of the oven, topped with chopped scallions and serve with desired sides and toppings.
RELATED: Easy Philly Steak and Cheese Fries
What to Serve with Frito Pie
Rice is always a great option to serve with Frito Pie as well as guacamole, salsa, and sour cream.
Another option since the Frito Pie is so filling is a side of salad.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz ROTEL
- 1 white onion, diced
- 10 oz enchilada sauce
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 oz super sweet corn
- 10 oz bag Fritos
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- Scallions, chopped for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Brown and crumble the ground beef in a large skillet until no longer pink.
- Add in the diced onion and allow it to cook with the beef.
- Drain any grease.
- Sprinkle the garlic powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt, chili powder, and paprika and stir the seasonings into the beef.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and enchilada sauce and simmer on medium low heat.
- Stir in the ROTEL.
- Add in the drained and rinsed black beans and the super sweet corn.
- Allow the mixture to simmer for abourt 3-5 minutes to allow the flavors to marry. Stir occassionally.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and prepare the casserole dish.
Layering the Ingredients
- Spread half of the Fritos in a 13x9 baing dish.
- Layer the beef mixture evenly over the Fritos.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese and the Monterey Jack Cheese on top of the beef mixture. Reserve ¼ cup of each cheese for topping.
- Sprinkle the remaining Fritos on top of the cheese and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and topped with chopped scallions, serve.
Serve with your favorite toppings such as guacamole, sour cream, and salsa.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 604Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 1405mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 9gSugar: 6gProtein: 32g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.