Triple chocolate chip cookies offer a delightful blend of chocolate and white chocolate chunks, enhanced with a hint of espresso powder and cocoa powder to enrich the chocolate taste.
These cookies boast a soft texture, an abundance of chocolatey goodness, and a subtle coffee undertone that elevates their scrumptiousness.
If you love chocolate cookie recipes with chewy centers, check out these Double Chocolate Fudge Cookies, they're both the perfect cookie to enjoy with a glass of cold milk.
This classic Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe is loved family favorite cookie recipe that the whole family will enjoy.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Triple Chocolate Delight: These cookies feature a trifecta of chocolate goodness with cocoa powder, semisweet, and white chocolate chips.
Perfect Texture: With a chewy center and crispy edges these cookies offer a satisfying texture.
Easy to Make: With basic ingredients, this chocolate chip cookie is easy to make.
Ingredients in Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies
- unsalted butter, softened
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- espresso powder
- chocolate chips or chunks
- white chocolate chips
- all-purpose flour
- dutch process cocoa powder
- baking powder
Instructions for Making Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies
In a medium bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder.
Using an electric mixer on low speed, beat the softened butter in a large bowl until smooth and creamy. Add the granulated and brown sugar and beat until combined and pale in color.
Beat the eggs in one at a time and add in the vanilla extract and the espresso powder.
Slowly beat the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until the dough is moistened.
Gently stir in the chocolate chips and the white chocolate chips.
Scoop the cookie dough with a #40 cookie scoop, roll it into cookie dough balls, and chill for 30 minutes.
Heat oven to 350ºF and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes or until the edges are firm.
Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Flour: These cookies can easily be made gluten-free by swapping out the all purpose flour for a measure for measure gluten free flour blend. Also, ensure the rest of your ingredients are gluten free as well.
Sugar: The Sugar can be replaced by opting for all granulated sugar or using all brown sugar if desired. It will alter the overall texture and flavor fo the cookie. The sugar can also be swapped out with equal amounts of coconut sugar, or maple sugar.
Butter: Instead of unsalted butter you can use salted butter in its place. If using salted butter omit the salt in the recipe.
Eggs: The eggs in this recipe can be swapped out for an egg replacement such as a flax egg or commercial egg replacement.
Variations for Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Chips: The chips can easily be swapped out for milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate chunks or chips instead of the ones stated in the recipe. Each variety of chocolate chips has its own flavor profile. Experiment with the mixture you like the most! Stir in some peanut butter chips to add a new flavor to the mix.
Espresso powder: The espresso powder in this recipe intensifies the chocolate flavor in the cocoa powder. If desired, the espresso powder can be omitted.
Equipment for Making Cookies
Having the right tools and equipment makes cooking baking quick and easy.
- Large baking tray - I prefer light-colored baking trays because the bottom of the cookies brown slower and more evenly.
- Parchment paper - This is useful to remove the cookies easily from the cookie sheet and make clean up a breeze.
- A large bowl and medium bowl for combining the wet and dry ingredients.
- A #40 cookie scoop for portioning out the perfect scoop of cookie dough, every time.
- A stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer, to combine the ingredients easily.
- Cooling rack to let your cookies cool before storing.
First, let your cookies cool completely on a wire rack before storing them. This helps prevent condensation buildup and making the cookies soggy.
After they've cooled, transfer the cookies to an airtight container or cookie jar. When stored at room temperature, these triple chocolate chip cookies will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
For longer-term storage, let the cookies cool completely before layering them in a freezer safe container with parchment paper between each layer. Label and date a freezer-safe container or a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes a cookie triple chocolate?
A triple chocolate cookie consists of three different types of chocolate, in this recipe, there is cocoa powder, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and white chocolate chips.
How to make chewy triple chocolate cookies?
To make chewy triple chocolate cookies, you need to ensure that the cookies are not overbaked resulting in a crispy cookie. Bake the cookies until the edges are browned and firmed but the centers are still soft.
Once out of the oven, the cookies will continue to bake while on the cookie sheets. Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes before transferring the cookies to a cooling rack.
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the softened butter in a large bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Add the granulated and brown sugar and beat until combined and pale in color.
- Beat the eggs in one at a time and add in the vanilla extract and the espresso powder.
- Slowly beat the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until the dough is moistened.
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips and the white chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie dough with a #40 cookie scoop, roll it into cookie dough balls, and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350ºF and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes or until the edges are firm.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
Chill the dough to slow the spreading process during baking.
For a chewy cookie, bake the cookies until the edges are firm and browned and the centers are still soft. They will continue baking once out of the oven.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 69mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.