Fried Blackberry Pies are fried and glazed that are made with homemade flaky buttermilk crust and fresh blackberries with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. Included in this recipe is an option to make these delicious pies in the Air Fryer!
These fried blackberry pies are made with a flaky buttermilk crust. Preparing the dough with buttermilk creates a beautiful tender and flaky texture. It's also incredibly easy to make because it's as simple as adding the ingredients together voila! the dough is formed.
After the dough has formed, make sure to knead it a few times to make sure there aren't any extra crumbs hanging out at the bottom of your bowl. I roll my dough out on a silicone mat (it's perfect to prevent sticking!) using my silicone rolling pin. I always use these when working with dough because one of my pet peeves is my dough sticking! The silicone tools save me so much frustration.
With Spring upon us and Summer quickly approaching, it's blackberry season! One of my favorite things about the warm weather is the abundance of fresh fruits and berries! Blackberries are so nostalgic to me - I used to pick wild blackberries with my grandfather when I was still toddling around. These days, my kids enjoy blackberries just as much and we can't seem to keep them in the house! It's a good thing that they're packing so many important nutrients such as manganese, Vitamin K, and Vitamin C. These essential nutrients and vitamins are great for your mental health, cardiovascular system, and even promotes healthy skin!
Related: Homemade Apple Pie
Making the Fried Blackberry Pies
It's really easy to fry these pies! A trick I use is to use a small saucepan and add about an inch of oil to it. That way, I'm not wasting vegetable oil (another pet peeve of mine!) by adding it to a large saucepan or skillet. It's pretty easy to fit 2 pies into the oil at one time and there's not a bunch of oil to throw out afterward! It's important to wait to add the filled pies into the oil after it heated and is bubbling. Once the pie hits the oil, it will start to brown and crisp the dough instead of soaking the oil up into it. Nobody wants to take a bite out of oil-soaked pies! It only takes about 1 and a half minutes to each side to fry these pies.
Air Fryer Option
With the option of air fryers these days, you can make these pies healthier if you want to. Just make sure to spray the basket liner of your air fryer, add 3 to 4 pies depending on your fryer size, and spray the tops of the pies with a nonstick cooking spray. Set the air fryer to 350° and cook for about 5 minutes, flip the pies, and cook for another 5 minutes or until browned. Repeat the process until all of your pies are air fried and make sure to not crowd your pies in the basket to prevent uneven browning and frying.
Glazing the Pies
If you want a nice thick glaze on these pies, be patient. Allow the pies to completely cool so that the glaze doesn't melt down in the pies.
After making the glaze in a small bowl but large enough to dip the fried pies in, I use a fork to flip the pies around in the glaze and use it to shake off any excess glaze. I place the glazed pies onto my silicone mat (or parchment paper) and allow them to harden completely.
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- 6 oz blackberries, 1 6 oz package (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 inch vegetable oil
- nonstick cooking spray, AIR FRYER OPTION*
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour in the vegetable oil and the buttermilk into the same bowl.
- Stir until dough forms and knead with hands until it is all combined.
- Roll out dough until it is about ¼ inch thick.
- Using a 4" biscuit cutter or rim of the cup, cut out circles.
- Repeat rolling out the dough until the dough is used up.
- In a small saucepan, pour the sugar, cornstarch, water, lemon juice, and spices.
- Set to medium heat and add in the blackberries.
- Stir frequently and allow it to come to a boil.
- Once it has boiled, stir frequently (break up the blackberries into pieces) and then remove from the heat and allow to cool. The filling will thicken.
- Once the filling has cooled, add 1 tablespoon of filling to eat pie and fold pies in half.
- Use a fork to seal the edges.
- In a medium saucepan, add oil until it is about 1 inch deep.
- Heat on medium heat and allow it heat until starting to bubble.
- Add 1 or 2 pies at a time and fry on each side for about 1 ½ minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to a paper toweled lined plate.
- Repeat until all pies are done.
*AIR FRYER OPTION
- Set the air fryer to 350°
- Spray the inside of the air fryer basket with nonstick spray.
- Add 3 or 4 pies to the basket and spray well with the nonstick spray.
- Cook on each side for about 5 minutes and remove to cool.
- Repeat the process until all pies are air fried.
- In a small bowl (big enough to dip the pies into) combine together the confectioner's sugar, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Once the pies have COMPLETELY cooled, dip both sides of the pies into the glaze.
- Use a fork to pick the pies up and lightly shake off the excess glaze.
- Place on parchment paper or a silicone mat and allow the glaze to harden.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.