Southern baked mac and cheese is a dish that’s always expected at family gatherings or Sunday dinners. Baked with 3 different kinds of cheese, this mac ‘ n cheese creamy, smooth, and delicious.
Mac and cheese is a staple at family gatherings, Thanksgiving, and Christmas dinners. It’s a dish that is expected to be seen and served so why not make it a great one?
Southern Style Mac ‘N Cheese
Southern baked mac and cheese is baked in the oven until the cheese is bubbly on top. It’s made with real cheeses and ingredients. This mac and cheese recipe is made with sharp cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Colby Jack cheese.
White pepper, paprika, and dry mustard brings out the cheesy flavor in this dish and adds a pleasant overall flavor.
Elbow noodles are used for this recipe and they’re cooked al dente before adding them to a buttered dish and set aside.
Use Blocks of Cheese
To make this mac and cheese, it’s best to use blocks of cheese and cube it. Shredded cheese has an additive that makes cheese dishes stringy when using it.
By cutting the cheese into cubes, it helps melt the cheese faster in the butter and heavy cream mixture. Start by adding just a few cubes at a time and stirring them until they are melted a bit and then continue the process with the remaining cheese cubes.
RELATED: Hasselback Sweet Potato Casserole
Once the ingredients are melted together and the seasonings are added, it’s best to taste the mixture and adjust any seasonings as necessary.
Baking the Southern Baked Mac and Cheese
Once the cheese mixture is all ready to go, whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and add it to the cheese sauce. Once it is combined, pour the sauce mixture over the noodles making sure to coat evenly.
I sprinkle mild cheddar cheese to the top of the dish before baking to make it extra cheesy. It’s baked in the oven for about 35-45 minutes. Just keep an eye on it, the cheese should be bubbly. Once it is, it’s ready to remove from the oven and serve.
- 16 oz macaroni, cooked al dente
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into cubes
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, cut into cubes
- 8 oz Colby Jack cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- shredded cheese, topping
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Cook to al dente.
- Butter a 13x9 baking dish and add the macaroni.
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, melt the butter and heavy cream together.
- Add in the milk.
- Slowly add in the cheeses allow them to melt.
- Add the white pepper, paprika, and dry mustard.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl before adding it to the mixture.
- Once the eggs are added to the cheese mixture, pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 506Total Fat: 27.9gSaturated Fat: 17.1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 489mgCarbohydrates: 38.1gFiber: 1.6gSugar: 3.1gProtein: 25.3g