This Hasselback Sweet Potato Casserole is a tasty and fun spin on the classic. It has flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
Topping this casserole are mini marshmallows and a sweet glaze.
Making a classic sweet potato casserole into something fun and creative such as a Hasselback Sweet Potato Casserole will definitely grab your loved one’s attention at the dinner table.
To make Hasselback potatoes, the first thing that needs to be done is to scrub them clean.
For this particular recipe, the potatoes are skinned so that there is no crispiness to the potatoes and in place, there’s a smooth buttery flavor. The skin can be left on if desired but I prefer to make it without.
To slice the potatoes, start by cutting into the end of the potato and cutting just until there is 1/4″ left. Repeat the process with new slices until you reach the other end of the potato.
RELATED: Butter Pecan Cake
Sweet Cinnamon Glaze
To make the sweet glaze that goes on these potatoes, butter is melted on the stovetop and brown sugar is added to the mixture. It’s important to allow the brown sugar to meltdown and dissolve into the butter. This prevents the mixture from being grainy.
Once the brown sugar is melted, add the other spices and stir to mix well. One-quarter cup of the mixture is set aside so that it can be used later on during the baking process.
Baking Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
The glaze is then drizzled on the potatoes and the potatoes are placed in the oven covered with aluminum foil for 50 minutes.
Once the 50 minutes are up, the remaining glaze is basted onto the potatoes and the aluminum foil is removed.
After the 20 minutes is over, the oven is set to the Broil setting and mini marshmallows are added to the sweet potatoes. The casserole is added back to the oven for about 3 minutes or until the marshmallows start to brown.
Hasselback Sweet Potato Casserole
This Hasselback Sweet Potato Casserole is a tasty and fun spin on the classic. It has flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Topping this casserole are mini marshmallows.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, skinned
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ginger
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Scrub and skin 4 medium sweet potatoes.
- Grease the inside of a large casserole dish and set aside.
- Slice each sweet potato by slicing down to ¼" from the bottom. Do not cut through.
- Place the sweet potatoes into the casserole dish.
- Melt the butter on the stove and add the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Stir to combine well and allow the sugar to melt.
- Reserve ¼ cup of the glaze to baste with later.
- Drizzle the remaining glaze on top of the sweet potatoes, allowing it to seep in between the slices.
- Place aluminum foil over the dish and place in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Once the 50 minutes is up, remove from the oven and baste the remainder of the glaze.
- Leave the potatoes uncovered and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven when the 20 minutes are up and set the oven to Broil.
- Place the mini marshmallows into the slices of sweet potatoes and inside the dish.
- Broil for about 3 minutes or until the marshmallows begin to brown.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 441Total Fat: 15.7gSaturated Fat: 9.9gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 328mgCarbohydrates: 74.1gFiber: 6.4gSugar: 29.6gProtein: 2.9g