This Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Chili is a quick and easy dump and start meal and pressure cooked in less than 30 minutes!
Instant Pot Chicken Chili
Chili is the perfect comfort food when it's cold outside but it's also perfect for hot summer days. Perfect for any time of year, this Instant Pot Chicken Chili is made with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
Chipotle peppers jalapeno chiles that are ripened, smoked, and dried. The smokiness of chipotle peppers had extra flavor and when smothered in adobo sauce they have bold flavors perfect for chicken chili.
Ingredients in Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Chili
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts - Can be frozen
- Chicken Broth - I use low-sodium
- Chipotle peppers- in adobo sauce
- Black Beans
- Kidney Beans
- Pinto Beans
- Spices- Chili powder, cumin, salt
- Vegetables- Onion, garlic
- Lime juice - fresh is best
- Tomatoes - diced
- Oil - for sauteing
How to Pressure Cook Chicken Chili
The first step to pressure cooking this Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Chili is to saute the diced onions, garlic, and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
It is always important to deglaze the pot before pressure cooking as any stuck-on bits will cause a burn notice.
To deglaze the pot, add the chicken broth to the pot and scrape the bottom to remove any pieces that stuck to the liner.
Add the boneless skinless chicken breasts next and then layer the seasonings, kidney beans, pinto beans, and black beans. Top with the diced tomatoes and the lime juice.
You can use frozen chicken breasts when making this Instant Pot Chicken Chili but it will increase the time that it takes the Instant Pot to get to pressure.
The lid is then placed on the pot and the vent is closed. The Instant Pot chicken chili is then pressure cooked on the high setting for 15 minutes.
As with any meat, allow the pot to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before removing the lid. Quick releasing the pressure in a pressure cooker will result in dry or rubbery meat. Be patient, it's worth the wait!
Refer to your Pressure Cooker manual to learn how to safely release pressure from your pressure cooker.
Shredding Chicken for Instant Pot Chipotle Chicken Chili
Once the lid is removed there are two ways to easily shred the chicken for not only Instant Pot Chicken Chili but for any type of recipe in the Instant Pot that uses shredded chicken.
The first way to do this is to use two forks and simply shred the chicken apart. The chicken should easily fall apart when using a pressure cooker and be fairly easy.
My favorite way to shred the chicken when using the Instant Pot is to use a hand mixer. It shreds the chicken incredibly fast and it shreds it well! I do remove the chicken from the pot before shredding however so that it doesn't mush up the other ingredients that may be in the pot.
I add the chicken back to the pot after shredding and stir to combine the Instant Pot Chicken Chili well.
RELATED: Instant Pot Firehouse Chili
Garnishing Instant Pot Chicken Chili
Top this Instant Pot Chicken Chili with a wedge of lime, some shredded cheese, and/or sour cream. Add extra flavor by adding some guacamole.
Serve this Instant Pot Chicken Chili as a complete meal or serve some cornbread muffins on the side or opt for some tortilla chips for dipping.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Delicious Sides for Chipotle Chicken Chili
Cornbread is always a good choice as a side for chili but there are some tasty side options for chipotle chicken!
Cowboy caviar is a delicious appetizer made with crisp veggies, tomatoes, and beans.
Black Bean & Cojita Cheese Dip is one of my favorite dips to serve with chili because it is so easy to put together. Simply layer the 6 ingredients, allow it to chill in the refrigerator and it's good to go!
Rice is also a great side for chipotle chicken and cilantro and lime rice goes especially well with chipotle chicken flavors!
Instant Pot Chili Variations
Chili is delicious, period. Everyone has their own favorite ways to eat chili and in my opinion, there is no wrong way to enjoy a delicious bowl of chili.
Cooking Instant Pot Chili is my favorite way to make chili anymore because it doesn't take long and it tastes as if the chili has been simmering on the stovetop for hours.
The classic way our family enjoys to eat chili is with this Homemade Chili recipe. This chili is made with a homemade seasoning blend that I've been using for years.
For a Keto version of Instant Pot chili, this No-Bean Chili has the wonderful flavors of chili but without the beans. Chili with no beans is also the preferred way to eat chili in Texas! Being a Virginian, I'm not too picky about my chili and love all variations!
Summer Chili is made with garden veggies including peppers, zucchini, and corn. We enjoy this chili during the warmer months and it's a great way to use up the abundance of zucchini!
Instant Pot Carne Picada Chili is made with carne picada cuts of beef. Carne Picada is ground chuck roast that is ground into chunks. Using this cut of beef creates a different texture than ground beef chili.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 oz kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoon lime juice, fresh is best
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pot.
- Add the diced onions, minced garlic, and the diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
- Cook until fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth and press cancel on the pot.
- Deglaze the bottom of the pot to remove any stuck-on bits.
- Place the boneless skinless chicken breasts into the pot.
- Sprinkle the seasonings.
- Layer the kidney beans, pinto beans, and black beans.
- Top with the diced tomatoes and the lime juice.
- Close the lid and the vent.
- Set the pressure cooker to MANUAL/HIGH PRESSURE for 15 minutes.
- Allow the pressure cooker to naturally release for 10 minutes before opening the lid.
- Once the lid is removed either use two forks to shred the chicken or remove the chicken from the pot and use a hand mixer to shred.
- Stir the shredded chicken with the chili mixture and set back to saute to cook off the liquid if desired.
- Serve with garnishments.
Always refer to your pressure cooker's manual for safety and proper use.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 596Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 990mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 12gSugar: 6gProtein: 67g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.