This sage sausage dressing is made using Sage Sausage, french bread, and fresh veggies. This sage sausage dressing is easy to make, and perfect for the holiday table.
Dressing or Stuffing?
Dressing (or stuffing) is popular during the holidays and a must-have on your dinner table for Thanksgiving.
The difference between dressing and stuffing is simple. The dressing is baked in a dish and stuffed is stuffed into the turkey during baking. We always make our traditional dressing in our family during the Holidays and adding Sage Sausage to the mix makes it extra flavorful.
Easy to Make Thanksgiving Dressing
The first step to making a delicious sausage dressing is to use stale bread. You can do this by using day-old bread or by toasting your bread. Once it's toasted, the bread is chopped into cubes.
The importance of this step is because the broth that is added to the dish needs to be soaked up by the dry bread. It makes the stuffing more flavorful and seasons the overall dish well.
Preparing the Sausage Dressing
Once the bread has dried out and has been toasted, it's time to saute the ground sausage. Sauteeing the chopped onions and celery at the same time makes the veggies more fragrant and flavorful. Once the sausage is cooked, drain any grease if necessary.
Melt the butter and add the chicken broth. Add the fresh herbs and spices and mix well.
Toss the dried bread cubes into the melted butter and broth mixture. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and then add to the broth. Mix in the sausage and veggies.
In a 9x13 baking dish, add the bread cube mixture and bake the sage sausage dressing for 35-40 minutes.
RELATED: Turkey Stuffing Balls
- 1 package Hatfield® Recipe Essentials Sage Sausage
- 10 cups French Bread, dried, cubed
- 2 cup chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, fresh, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme, fresh, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sage, fresh, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- In a large skillet, saute the sage sausage, onions, and celery together. Drain any grease if necessary.
- Melt the butter and add the chicken broth. Sprinkle in the fresh herbs and spices. Mix well.
- Whisk the egg and add it to the broth mixture.
- Combine the broth and bread together and add to a 13x9 baking dish.
- Top with additional parsley and thyme.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 731Total Fat: 31.4gSaturated Fat: 15.6gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 1623mgCarbohydrates: 89.1gFiber: 4.2gSugar: 4.8gProtein: 24g
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.