This zucchini and pepper casserole is perfect for potlucks! It's made with fresh zucchini, diced red peppers, onion, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheese.
This casserole is perfect for the summertime because of the abundance of summer squash! This recipe uses four medium-sized zucchini's, making it a great recipe to use those zucchini's without them going to waste!
- zucchini, medium sized
- onion, sliced thin
- red pepper, diced
- onion powder
- tomato sauce
- shredded cheese
Veggies and Cheese
Making this casserole is incredibly easy. First, saute the sliced onions, diced red peppers, and sliced zucchini on the stove. Then, toss with the seasonings and add in the tomato sauce. After the veggies have softened a bit (about 5 minutes) pour them into a lightly greased 13x9 dish and sprinkle the veggies with mozzarella cheese.
Related: Lemon Oven Roasted Asparagus
Baking the Casserole
After the baking dish is prepared, place it uncovered in the preheated oven. My oven takes about 30 minutes to get the cheese nice and bubbly.
If you want the cheese to crisp a bit, turn on the broiler for about three to five minutes. Keep an eye on it though so that it doesn't burn!
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and add in the sliced onions and diced red peppers.
- Add in the sliced zucchini and sprinkle with the onion powder, salt, and oregano.
- Stir the veggies in the skillet and add in the tomato sauce.
- Stir occasionally and heat in a skillet for about 5 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Lightly spray a 13x9 dish and spoon the mixture evenly into the dish.
- Sprinkle the dish with the 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and bubbly.
- Take out of the oven, and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 440mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 8g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.