These moist and delicious chocolate chip muffins are made Bakery-Style with semi-sweet chocolate chips and are topped with crystallized sugar.
These muffins have a tall muffin top and are topped with crystallized sugar just like your local bakery. Achieving a taller muffin is fairly simple. It’s as simple as adjusting your oven temperatures during baking.
The oven starts off at 425° for 5 minutes and then the oven temperature is reduced to 350° for the remaining baking time.
By changing the oven temperature it prevents the oven from overbaking the outside of the muffins and from underbaking the insides.
Muffins for Chocolate Lovers
These chocolate chip muffins have chocolate chips in every bite! I used a mixture of semi-sweet chocolate chips and semi-sweet mini chocolate chips. You can even get more creative by mixing in chocolate chunks instead of the minis!
Another great mixture of flavors is replacing some of the chocolate chips with white chocolate chips!
To make these muffins I used:
Moist and Fluffy Muffins
The key to making moist and fluffy muffins is to not overbeat the mixture. By overbeating, you create a dense, tough, and chewy muffin.
I use room temperature eggs and sour cream because it doesn’t take as much to incorporate those ingredients into the mixture and prevents overbeating.
I also beat in the flour alternately with the buttermilk. This keeps the batter smooth and creamy. When adding the chocolate chips, use a spoon to add them in because it further reduces the risk of overbeating your muffin mixture.
Remember! Just beat the muffin mixture together just long enough to incorporate the ingredients.
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sour cream, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- crystallized sugar, for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Line a muffin tin with 12 liners or grease the tin well.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, Beat together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and the melted butter.
- Add in the oil, vanilla extract, and the sour cream.
- Beat the room temperature eggs one at a time, do not overbeat.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture alternating with the buttermilk. Careful not to overbeat.
- Fold in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tins all the way to the top.
- Bake in the oven preheated at 425° for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350° and bake for another 23-25 minutes.
- Allow the muffins to cool.
Dropping the temperature into the oven from 425° to 350° allows the muffin tops to rise to a "Bakery-Style" height.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: