Sour Cream Coffee Cake made with a flavorful cinnamon filling and topped with buttery and cinnamon crumb topping. Made from scratch to create a fluffy and moist cake.
Moist and Flavorful Coffee Cake
A lot of the coffee cakes that I’ve eaten homemade or store-bought has really disappointed me. I’m always looking for a very flavorful taste without an overpowering amount of cinnamon that ends up making the cake dry.
I always add sour cream to my cakes and I’m so glad that I added it to this one! It really helped make this cake super moist and the number of spices I put in this sour cream coffee cake is well balanced and super flavorful!
Selecting the Right Baking Pan
For this cake, I used my 11″ x 15″ inch baking pan. The approximate bake time to make the coffee cake in this pan is about 45 minutes give or take. Using this pan easily gets you 30 slices of coffee cake.
It’s always best to check progress using a toothpick entered into the center of the cake.
You can always use a 9″ x 13″ inch baking pan for this coffee cake as well. The bake time using this pan will go about by about 10 minutes give or take.
By using this pan, it will result in fewer slices but they will be thicker slices.
TIP: Use parchment paper to line the baking pan. It will allow the coffee cake to come out of the baking pan a lot easier and prevents any sticking!
Ingredients in Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Unsalted Butter
- Granulated Sugar & Brown Sugar
- Baking Powder & Salt
- Vanilla Extract
- Sour Cream
- All-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
- Confectioner’s Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
How To Make Coffee Cake
Making coffee cake is very easy and the addition of sour cream makes the cake more moist and fluffy.
I prefer the sour cream coffee cake because of its moistness and richness in flavor.
It’s perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee or even orange juice and it’s delicious enough for dessert.
Using room temperature ingredients in this recipe helps avoid overbeating the ingredients which will result in a dry and dense cake. Beating until combined is a great way to achieve a soft and fluffy cake.
The first thing to do when making this coffee cake is to beat the softened unsalted butter with the granulated and brown sugars.
The eggs and vanilla extract are added next and beaten until combined.
The baking powder and salt are then added to the flour.
It’s important to add a little flour at a time so that you don’t overbeat the ingredients or cause a big mess from the flour.
Once the cake batter is mixed, half of the batter is then added to a 9×13 (11×15 works, too!) baking dish.
I prefer to line my baking dish with parchment paper because it’s easy to lift the cake and remove it from the pan once it is done cooling.
RELATED: Apple Crumb Coffee Cake
The sour cream coffee cake filling is then prepared by mixing the cocoa powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour. It will be a nice thick layer of the filling.
The remaining cake batter is then added and evenly spread on top of the cinnamon filling.
The crumble topping is created by adding the melted butter with brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and flour.
I use a fork to make it crumbly before sprinkling it evenly on top of the cake batter.
RELATED: Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake
Depending on the pan size, it is baked in the oven for between 45 minutes to an hour.
A 9×13 pan will take roughly 45 minutes and an 11×15 pan will take roughly 55 minutes. Check with a toothpick in the center of the cake to ensure that is done.
Allow the sour cream coffee cake to cool completely before drizzling the glaze. If you drizzle it on beforehand it will seep into the cake.
For the Cake
- 1 cup butter, unsalted, softened
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs, room temp
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 3 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tbsp milk, give or take
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Coffee Cake Mix
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare baking pan by lightly greasing sides and bottom. Use parchment paper if you would like.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and sugar.
- Add in room temp eggs one at a time.
- Mix in salt, baking powder, vanilla extract, and sour cream.
- Stir in milk and add flour gradually.
- After mixed, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and cocoa powder.
- Stir well and mix in the 1 cup of flour. Make sure to blend well.
- Melt 6 tbsp of butter.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and flour.
- Mix well and add in melted butter. Mix well. Set aside.
Assembling the Coffee Cake
- Pour half of the cake mix into the cake pan.
- Pour the cinnamon filling evenly over top of the coffee cake mix. You can the back of a spoon to carefully spread the filling.
- Pour the remaining amount of coffee cake mix over the filling.
- Take the prepared crumble topping and sprinkle it over the coffee cake batter. Make sure to spread it evenly across the top.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes for an 11x15 pan and about 50-55 minutes for a 9x13 pan.
- Check the center of the cake with a toothpick to check for doneness.
- Remove cake from oven and let cool completely.
- Make sure the cake is cool completely before adding the drizzle topping. If the cake is warm then the drizzle with melt into the cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 223mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 4g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: