Delicious and flavorful chilled butterbeer drink perfect for your next Harry Potter party or HP movie marathon.
It only takes a few ingredients to replicate the beloved served beverage in the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade in the Harry Potter book series.
What is Butterbeer Made of?
Butterbeer was described in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban as “a little bit less-sickly butterscotch.” The flavors of butterscotch are in every sip of this chilled drink as it is mixed with butterscotch sauce and cream soda.
- Cream soda – the cream soda should already be chilled before making this recipe.
- Butterscotch sauce – either homemade butterscotch sauce or bottled butterscotch syrup will work. The butterscotch sauce is used in both the drink itself and is used to flavor the whipped cream.
- Unsalted butter- Using salted butter may sauce this drink to become salty when we are going for a sweet drink.
- Heavy whipping cream- this is used to make homemade whipped cream. It’s easy to do and comes together quickly.
- Powdered sugar – This helps thicken and sweeten the whipped cream.
How to Make Butterbeer
It’s very easy to make butterbeer at home and it’s easy enough that the kids can get involved as well.
To make this beverage, start with chilled ingredients to keep the drink cold and ready to serve.
Melt the butter- Melt the tablespoon of butter in the microwave and set it aside to allow it cool.
Pour the cream soda into a large pitcher- Pour the chilled cream soda in the pitcher and stir the cooled melted butter into it.
Add the butterscotch sauce- If using homemade butterscotch sauce, allow it to cool before adding it to the cream soda. If using the sundae butterscotch syrup, stir it directly into the cream soda.
Make the butterscotch whipped cream- Beat the heavy whipping cream in a chilled bowl with a hand mixer until stiff forms peak. Fold in the butterscotch sauce and powdered sugar.
Top the butterbeer and serve- Add the desired amount of butterscotch whipped cream to the top of the butterbeer and serve immediately.
Store the drink and the whipped cream separately.
RELATED: Pumpkin Streusel Coffee Cake
Harry Potter Party Food
Party or movie night, butterbeer is a fun and tasty treat. Paired with these Butterbeer Cupcakes, the party is off to a great start!
Serve the butterbeer in a punch bowl and set a bowl of the butterscotch whipped cream next to it for garnish.
Serve finger foods and other snacks to round out the party food and decorate with Harry Potter party decor to throw a party that the guests will love!
A Harry Potter movie marathon needs tasty treats and drinks and this cupcake and drink pairing is the perfect combo for the occasion!
RELATED: Peanut Butter Buttercream Frosting
- 2 liter cream soda, chilled
- 1/2 cup butterscotch sauce, either homemade or bottled butterscotch sundae
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Butterscotch Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butterscotch sauce
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Melt the one tablespoon of butter and allow it cool.
- In a large punch bowl combine the chilled cream soda with the butterscotch sauce.
- Stir the cooled melted butter into the soda.
Butterscotch Whipped Cream
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream using a hand mixer until firm peaks form.
- Gently beat in the butterscotch sauce and the powdered sugar.
- Pour the butterbeer into the mugs and top with the whipped cream right before serving.
Start with chilled ingredients for maximum freshness.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 808Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 407mgCarbohydrates: 140gFiber: 0gSugar: 138gProtein: 4g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.