Sweet & Sticky Chicken Wings made with a homemade sweet and sticky sauce, cooked in the Instant Pot, and made crispy in the oven.
These chicken wings are great as the main dish or as a party appetizer.
Homemade Chicken Wing Sauce
Bottled wing sauce isn't found in this recipe. Instead, this recipe is made from scratch and it boasts with sweet and tangy flavors. The combination of brown sugar, Worchestershire sauce, and red wine vinegar creates a unique but very pleasant flavor to the tastebuds.
Instant Pot Chicken Wings
If done right, chicken wings in the Instant Pot are incredibly tender and juicy. Also, these wings are made from frozen - no need to allow for thawing time!
Using the Instant Pot is perfect when cooking for a crowd or preparing for Game Day!
That's what makes the Instant Pot so great, it can cook anything from frozen is less time than on the stove or oven.
Some other great Instant Pot recipes that are great for Game Day are is this Instant Pot BBQ Beef Brisket. It's tender, flavorful, and makes enough to make sandwiches for a crowd.
Instant Pot Sweet & Savory Pulled Pork is a crowd-pleaser and there's no need to make pulled pork in a slow cooker. In under an hour, this beautifully seasoned and flavored pulled pork is ready to be served.
Making Instant Pot Chicken Wings
The first step to making chicken wings in the Instant Pot is to add the water to the bottom of the liner so that the pot can pressurize. Using the trivet on in the pot and placing the frozen chicken wings on top prevents the chicken wings from laying in the water while pressure cooking.
Adding a bit of salt and pepper to the chicken before pressure cooking tenderizes the wings and adds a bit more flavor to the chicken itself.
When pressure cooking frozen chicken wings, the cooking time is 12 minutes. However, when using fresh chicken wings, it only takes 5 minutes. Remember, when cooking frozen meats, it takes longer for the pot to pressurize.
Once the pressure cooker is done, allow it to sit for 10 minutes before releasing any additional pressure and removing the lid.
At this time, it's time to prepare the sauce for the chicken wings. Once it has been mixed together well, reserve ¾ cup of the sauce to cover the wings in after broiling.
Stir in the chicken into the sauce and place the chicken in a single layer onto an aluminum foiled lined baking sheet.
Broil the Sweet & Sticky Chicken Wings for 5 minutes on each side. After removing them from the broiler, sprinkle with sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
- 2 ½ lbs frozen chicken wings*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- toasted sesame seeds
- sliced green onions
- ½ cup water
- Add ½ cup to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place the trivet inside the liner.
- Add the frozen* chicken wings to the pot.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Close the lid and pressure cook on MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK for 12 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid after releasing the remaining pressure.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ketchup, brown sugar, red wine vinegar, Worchestershire, Dijon mustard, garlic, and liquid smoke.
- Mix together well and reserve ¾ cup of the sauce.
- Add the chicken wings into the remaining sauce and mix well.
- Add the chicken wings to an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and BROIL for 5 minutes on each side.
- Remove from the oven and toss in the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and sliced green onions.
- Serve immediately so that the wings retain their crispiness.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.