Queso Fundido "melted cheese" is a delicious Mexican appetizer made with crumbled chorizo, melted cheese, jalapenos, and a variety of toppings.
This cheesy flavorful dip is thought to have originated in Chihuahua, Mexico, and was created over a campfire. It has gained it's popular in the United States and makes a great Mexican appetizer or party appetizer for Cinco de Mayo celebrations.
Ingredients in Queso Fundido
- Mexican Chorizo, casings removed.
- Oaxaca cheese
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Pepper Jack cheese
- white onion
- diced red onion
- tortilla chips
RELATED: Birria Tacos
How to Make Queso Fundido
Preheat the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook the chorizo. In an oven-safe skillet, add the chorizo and cook until it is crumbled and cooked.
Drain. Transfer the chorizo to a paper towel-lined plate and allow the grease to drain.
Saute the veggies. Melt the butter in the skillet over medium-high heat and add the onion and diced jalapeños. Cook until the onions are translucent.
Add the ingredients to the skillet. Add all but ¼ cup of crumbled chorizo (for topping) to the oven-safe skillet and top with the crumbled Oaxaca cheese and ¼ up of the Pepper Jack cheese.
Top with cheese. Top with the Monterey Jack cheese and the remaining Pepper Jack cheese.
Bake. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. The cheese should be bubbly and browned.
Garnish and serve. Garnish with red onion, salsa, and cilantro, and serve immediately with tortilla chips.
Variations for Queso Fundido
Mushroom fundido. Queso fundido made with mushrooms, onions, and cheese.
Veggie fundido. Queso fundido made with a variety of vegetables including bell peppers and zucchini.
Substitute pork for beef chorizo. Although pork chorizo is used in this traditional Mexican dish, you can swap out the pork for beef chorizo.
Queso fundido can be eaten as a dip or filled into a tortilla and eaten.
Turn this appetizer or dip into a meal by piling on more protein such as sliced steak.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Restaurant Style Red Salsa
Our Favorite Appetizing Dips
Want more dip or appetizers? Check out these fun and delicious dips for parties, celebrations, or for any weeknight dinner - think Taco Tuesday!
- 9 ounces Mexican Chorizo, casings removed
- 1 cup Oaxaca cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 jalapeños, diced
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 ½ cup of salsa
- ¼ cup cilantro, garnished
- diced jalapeno, for garnish (optional)
- tortilla chips for serving or tortillas for serving
- Preheat oven to 350º F
- In an oven-safe skillet, add the chorizo and cook until it is crumbled and cooked.
- Transfer the chorizo to a paper towel-lined plate and allow the grease to drain.
- Melt the butter in the skillet over medium-high heat and add the onion and diced jalapeños.
- Cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add all but ¼ cup of crumbled chorizo (for topping) to the oven-safe skillet and top with the crumbled Oaxaca cheese and ¼ cup of the Pepper Jack cheese.
- Top with the Monterey Jack cheese and the remaining Pepper Jack cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. The cheese should be bubbly and browned.
- Garnish with red onion, salsa, and cilantro, and serve immediately with tortilla chips.
Use an oven-safe skillet (or dish) as this dish and place in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 984mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 18g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.