Quick and easy traditional homemade Instant Pot beef stroganoff made is made with tender bite-sized chunks of beef and served in a creamy sauce.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Sauce
Stroganoff sauce is made with a variety of spices and sour cream to create a creamy and comforting sauce.
The combination of garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme creates a flavorful blend of spices for this classic beef stroganoff recipe.
Beef broth, soy sauce, Dijon mustard, and sour cream come together to create a flavorful and creamy sauce for the beef and the egg noodles.
What Ingredients Are in Homemade Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff?
- Butter – to coat the bottom of the Instant Pot and to sauté the ingredients.
- Beef – Round steak is perfect for this and you can purchase pre-chunked stew meat to save time. If cutting your own, simply cut into bite-sized pieces before searing.
- Vegetables – Onion, Garlic, and Mushrooms. I use white mushrooms in mine but if you want a more intense mushroom taste, try baby bella’s.
- Spices and Herbs – Salt, Pepper, thyme, and parsley. All common ingredients and easy to find.
- Soy Sauce
- Sour Cream – to make the beef stroganoff sauce creamy.
- Dijon Mustard
- Flour – to add the beef when searing.
- Egg noodles– 10 oz. of wide egg noodles work great for this recipe and creates a nice sauce to noodle ratio
- Cornstarch + water – to add to the Instant Pot after the noodles are added and pressure cooked. Used on preference to thicken sauce if desired.
Making Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Instant Pot beef stroganoff is not only simple but it’s also fairly quick this homemade meal.
Butter is added to the liner of the Instant Pot and the pressure cooker is set to Sauté. Once the butter is added to the pot, the diced onions, salt, pepper, and garlic are added.
Sliced mushrooms are then stirred into the mixture.
The next step is to add the beef chunks. I use pre-cut beef chunks because it saves time during the prep work. The beef cut of round is best for this dish but shoulder works as well. If you cut your own, cut them into bite-sized pieces.
The chunks of beef are seared and the flour is added into the pot to coat the beef.
Once all sides of the beef are browned, the beef broth is added and the pot is deglazed. To deglaze the pot, scrape any and all bits off the bottom of the liner after adding the broth. This is one of the biggest reasons that pressure cookers receive the burn notice.
The remaining spices and mustard are then added to the broth and the lid is placed back onto the pressure cooker.
After cooking for 10 minutes on high pressure the lid is removed after 10 minutes of using the natural pressure release method.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
Once the lid is removed, the lid is taken off and the wide egg noodles are added and submerged completely in the broth mixture.
This is then pressure cooked for 3 minutes with a careful, intermittent, quick release.
Sour cream is then stirred into the mixture to create a creamy texture for the stroganoff.
If desired, a slurry of cornstarch and water is then created and added to the stroganoff to thicken the sauce.
What to Serve With Beef Stroganoff
Egg noodles are the classic way of serving this meal but you can switch things up and use other sides in place of the egg noodles.
Serve this meal with rice, bread, or potatoes.
Mashed potatoes are a great replacement for egg noodles in this recipe. These Irish Mashed Potatoes are buttery and delicious and pair beautifully with this beef dish.
- 2 lbs stew meat (or beef round cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups white mushrooms (or baby bella's for extra taste)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 10 oz wide egg noodles
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp cornstarch + 1 tsp water (for slurry)
- parsley, for garnish
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and add the butter.
- Add the onions, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Saute until the onions become translucent.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms.
- Place the beef chunks into the liner and add the flour.
- Toss the beef into the flour and sear on all sides.
- Once the beef is browned on all sides, add the beef broth to the pot to deglaze.*
- Add the remaining spices and the Dijon mustard.
- Close the lid and the vent and pressure cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes.
- Allow a 10-minute natural pressure release.
- Carefully release the remaining steam from the pot once the 10 minutes is up.
- Submerge the egg noodles to the Instant Pot and close the lid.
- Pressure cook for 3 minutes.
- Carefully perform a quick release once the 3 minutes are up.
- Stir the noodles and beef together and add in the sour cream.
- If you would like to thicken the sauce, add combine the cornstarch and water together and add it at the end.
- Serve immediately.
*To deglaze the liner of the pot, scrape any and all stuck-on bits on the bottom of the liner. This is one of the biggest reasons that people receive a burn notice.
Please refer to your pressure cooker manual to learn how to safely release pressure using both the natural pressure release and the quick pressure release.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 740Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 286mgSodium: 1714mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 83g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.