Hummingbird Cake Cupcakes have all of the classic flavors of bananas, pineapple, and warm spices just like the traditional hummingbird cake.
These cupcakes are topped with a delicious pineapple cream cheese frosting and are garnished with toasted coconut and toasted pecans.
Classic Hummingbird Cake
This deliciously moist cake recipe gets a lot of its flavor from the ripened bananas, the crushed pineapples, and the warm flavors of cinnamon, allspice, and vanilla. Hummingbird cake is a classic southern dessert that is a family favorite.
This hummingbird cake cupcakes can be turned into a hummingbird cake by dividing the batter between two 9-inch rounds and baking the batter for 25-30 minutes.
The frosting for these cupcakes are made with pineapple juices and the frosting makes enough for a two layer hummingbird cake!
How to Toast Pecans and Coconut
Toasting your pecans and coconut for this recipe releases a lot of flavor into the cupcakes. Toasting coconut and pecans is easy to do and you can quickly do it on your stovetop.
To toast pecans on the stovetop, add 1 tablespoon of butter to a skillet and heat the skillet over medium heat. Once the butter begins to melt, add the chopped pecans to the skillet and stir well to mix the pecans into the butter. .Stirring frequently, allow the pecans to heat in the skillet.
Once you smell a nutty aroma, remove the pecans from the heat and transfer them to a heat-safe bowl to prevent them from burning in the skillet.
To toast coconut, it is a very similar process. Place a skillet over medium heat and add the coconut in the skillet. Stir frequently so that the coconut toasts evenly.
Once the coconut begins to brown, stir to toast evenly, and remove from the heat and transfer the toasted coconut to a heat-safe bowl to prevent the toasted coconut from burning in the skillet.
Hummingbird Cake Cupcakes Ingredients
Ingredients in these cupcakes are similar to those in a carrot cake. The ingredients produce a moist and fluffy cake packed with delicious flavors.
- Bananas – overripe is best and produces the best flavor.
- Butter – unsalted and softened
- Granulated sugar
- Eggs – room temperature helps the ingredients mend together better
- Crushed pineapple – in a tin, juices reserved
- Salt, baking soda, and baking powder
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour – spooned & leveled
- Pecans – chopped into small bits and toasted
- Coconut – sweetened and toasted
How to Make Hummingbird Cake Cupcakes
This recipe yields 24 cupcakes so you will need 24 cupcake liners.
The first step to making these cupcakes is to preheat the oven and prepare the muffin tins.
Starting with room temperature ingredients is important and will ensure the cake batter isn’t over beaten and it helps the ingredients come together easier.
First, the softened butter is creamed together with the granulated sugar. Once the ingredients are creamed together add in the mashed bananas, vanilla extract, and eggs.
At this time, the cinnamon and allspice is sprinkled into the batter.
Next, the crushed pineapple is added but the pineapple is drained and the juices are reserved to use with the cream cheese frosting.
In a separate bowl, the all-purpose flour is spooned & leveled, and mixed together with the salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
Slowly beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until everything is combined.
The hummingbird cake cupcakes batter is then distributed evenly between 24 muffin liners and they’re baked in the oven for 20-25 minutes. When a toothpick is entered into the center of a cupcake and it is clean, the cupcakes can be removed from the oven.
If the toothpick is moist or has crumbs, bake for a couple more minutes at a time.
RELATED: Butter Pecan Cake
Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting
These hummingbird cupcakes are iced with a pineapple cream cheese frosting. The juices leftover from the crushed pineapple is beat into the cream cheese frosting to create a flavorful delicious frosting for these hummingbird cake cupcakes.
Room temperature unsalted butter is beaten together with softened cream cheese until it is smooth. Next, the salt and confectioner’s sugar is beat into the mixture a little at a time. If the frosting is too thick to pipe or frost the cake or cupcakes with, add milk 1-2 tablespoons at a time to create a smooth and pipeable frosting.
RELATED: Cake Mix Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups bananas, ripened and mashed
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 OZ crushed pineapple, juices reserved
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, spooned & leveled
Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 OZ cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice, reserved from crushed pineapples
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2-4 tbsp milk, use as needed
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Line muffin tins with 24 cupcake liners.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream together the softened butter and the granulated sugar.
- Beat the mashed bananas, vanilla extract, and the eggs into the mixture.
- Sprinkle in the cinnamon and allspice.
- Beat in the drained crushed pineapple.
- In a separate bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, salt, and baking soda, and baking powder.
- Slowly beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined.
- Evenly scoop the batter between 24 cupcake liners, about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Check the center of the cupcakes with a toothpick, it if comes out clean the cupcakes are done. If not, bake for a couple more minutes at a time.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow them to cool completely before frosting.
Pineapple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat together the softened butter and the softened cream cheese.
- Beat in the salt and the reserved pineapple juice.
- If needed, beat in 1-2 tablespoons of milk into the frosting to make it easy to spread or pipe.
- Top with with toasted coconut and the toasted pecans.
To these cupcakes into a cake, grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
Prepare the batter is directed and evenly distribute the batter between the two pans.
Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
Check with a toothpick for doneness and remove the cakes from the oven to cool completely before frosting.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 273mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 4g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.