A southern delight – this butter pecan cake has toasted pecans and made from scratch with cream cheese frosting.
This butter pecan cake is a hit at potlucks, holiday dinners, and birthdays.
Butter Pecan Cake is known for its rich cream cheese flavor, toasted pecans, and flavorful fluffy cake.
This cake has the addition of brown sugar to the granulated sugar making this cake richer, softer, and a more embodied flavor.
This cake is a Holiday staple in the South and it’s a flavor pairing that tastes absolutely delicious served for Thanksgiving or Christmas dessert.
Toasting the pecans for this cake maximizes the flavor of the pecans and makes this cake even more decadent.
RELATED: Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake
Made From Scratch
Sure, you can buy a boxed cake mix to skip some steps but it won’t taste like a homemade made from the heart butter pecan cake.
The family will love it and they’ll taste that amazing “homemade” taste and texture.
Homemade Cream Cheese Frosting
The recipe for this cream cheese frosting makes enough to frost the 1st layer of the cake as well as the top and sides liberally. There’s no need for scraping the bowl to get the last little bit to stretch the frosting!
I used (2) 8″ round cake pans to make these cakes. I also used baking spray! If you’re not sure what the difference between baking spray and cooking spray, the baking spray has flour added into it! It makes it perfect for removing baked goods!
- 1 cup butter, unsalted, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups pecans, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter, unsalted
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted, softened
- 6 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease and flour (2) 8" inch round pans. I use baking spray.
- Heat 2 tbsp of butter over low heat in a skillet until melted.
- Add the chopped pecans to the skillet and lightly toast. Stir occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, cream the softened butter and the sugars together.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix in half of the flour, then half of the milk.
- Repeat with the rest of the flour and milk.
- Stir in 2 cups of the toasted pecans.
- Pour half of the batter into one of the 8-inch rounds and repeat with the other 8-inch round pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. Check the center of the cakes with a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting to prevent the icing from sliding and melting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese and butter.
- Add in the vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Slowly beat in the confectioner's sugar.
- Add the milk 1 tbsp at a time until the frosting is smooth and the right consistency to frost the cake.
When frosting the cake, make sure both of the cakes are completely cool. Start by frosting the top of one of the 8 inch cakes and then lay the unfrosted layer on top. Frost the top and sides. Garnish with toasted pecans.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 761Total Fat: 30.6gSaturated Fat: 16.9gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 237mgCarbohydrates: 115.3gFiber: 1.6gSugar: 88.7gProtein: 9.2g