Instant Pot chicken in sweet chili sauce with red peppers and onions.
This easy Instant Pot recipe is served with jasmine rice made pot-in-pot.
Pot In Pot Rice
Making a complete meal is incredibly easy using the pot in pot method. This Instant Pot sweet chili chicken is made in on the bottom of the Instant Pot and an inner pot is placed on top of the chicken on a trivet.
Inside that trivet are the ingredients to make the rice. Everything cooks together and finishes together - how's that for an easy dinner!
They sell pot in pot stackable inserts for the Instant Pot for convenience! Pyrex and other non-pressure safe bowls are not recommended due to the risk of injury.
Ingredients in Sweet Chili Chicken and Rice
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Sweet chili sauce
- Soy sauce, reduced-sodium
- Lime juice
- Red pepper flakes
- Red pepper
- White onion
- Pineapple juice
- Pineapple tidbits
- Chicken broth, low sodium
- Cornstarch, + ¼ cup water (for slurry)
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
Sweet Chili Chicken
Sweet chili sauce is made from red chile peppers, rice wine vinegar, among other ingredients depending on what brand you purchase or if you make it yourself.
Sweet chili sauce has a delicious balance of sweet and spicy and adding a small amount of red pepper flakes adds even more flavor to this dish.
This chicken is cooked in pineapple juice and served with pineapple tidbits. The pineapple balances the flavor as well. These flavors are the perfect combo of sweet and spicy!
*TIP - For extra heat, add extra red pepper flakes.
Jasmine rice is the perfect rice to serve with this dish because of its sticky texture after cooking. Jasmine rice also cooks exceptionally well in the Instant Pot and has a pleasant floral aroma while cooking. It also is higher in fiber than white rice!
Also, pressure cooking it for 7 minutes with a natural release of 10 minutes produces a soft, sticky texture.
Thicken the Sauce
Once the lid is removed there's a good chance that the sweet chili chicken will be saucy. Remedying this is simple by using cornstarch and water. Just a little will thicken the sauce nicely and won't alter the flavor.
Since there is nowhere for water or steam to escape, the Instant Pot retains all liquid that is poured in the pot. Also, chicken has a high water content so that only adds to the liquid amounts. A cornstarch slurry works well for this dish and so many others out there made in a pressure cooker.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce, reduced-sodium
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 red pepper, cubed
- 1 white onion, sliced
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
- ½ cup chicken broth, low sodium
- ¼ cup cornstarch, + ¼ cup water (for slurry)
Pot in Pot Jasmine Rice
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Add oil to the Instant Pot and set to SAUTE
- Add the cubed chicken to the Instant Pot and stir to brown all sides.
- Add in the peppers and onions, turn off SAUTE.
- Add the ½ cup of chicken broth and deglaze the pot.
- Add the sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, pineapple juice, and lime juice to the pot.
- Using the pot in pot method, rise the Jasmine rice and add it to the pot.
- Add the 1 cup of chicken broth to the pot and make sure the rice is submerged completely.
- Carefully place a trivet or steamer basket into the Instant Pot and place the pot with the rice on top.
- Close the lid and set the timer to 7 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before releasing any pressure manually.
- Carefully remove the lid, remove Jasmine rice and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
- Set the pot to saute and add in the red pepper flakes and pineapple tidbits.
- Create the cornstarch slurry and add it to the chicken.
- Stir it in well and allow the sauce to thicken. Cancel SAUTE and serve.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 638Total Fat: 7.3gSaturated Fat: 1.3gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 843mgCarbohydrates: 109.5gFiber: 4.2gSugar: 24.2gProtein: 28.5g
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.