These made from scratch chewy fudge brownies are topped with a creamy chocolate brownie frosting.
Chewy Fudge Brownies
These brownies have a deliciously intense chocolate flavor with a creamy and rich frosting. This recipe uses unsweetened 100% cacao chocolate which is very different from cocoa powder.
If you needed an excuse to eat these delicious brownies, try these:
- Cacao is rich in antioxidants which prevent the body from disease and aging.
- It’s a great source of magnesium and iron – in fact, it’s the best source for them!
- It’s a mood booster! Cacao helps you relax and promotes better sleep.
- It’s also good for your skin! Believe it or not, cacao helps you stay hydrated!
- It’s also really good for your heart and it reduces inflammation!
Baking the Brownies
These brownies are baked in a 13″ x 9″ pan. Even though most of the pans you can buy these days are non-stick, it’s always a good idea to grease the pan when working with brownies. Also, because you allow these brownies to sit for 3 hours after before slicing and removing them, it will make it easier to remove them from the pan if it’s greased.
Creamy Chocolate Frosting
The frosting for this recipe also has cacao in it as well! It’s melted down with the butter in a small saucepan and then added to the powdered sugar once it has cooled slightly. Usually, with baked goods, you want your cake to cool completely before frosting. That’s not the case with this recipe!
Once the brownie has cooled for about 5 minutes, the creamy chocolate frosting is poured on and evenly frosted. This allows the frosting to sink into the warm brownies a little bit. It helps increase flavor, and it also makes them fudgy!
- 1 cup butter, 2 sticks
- 4 squares cacao, unsweetened chocolate
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, 1 stick
- 2 squares cacao, unsweetened chocolate
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 tbsp half and half
- Preheat oven to 325° and grease a 13" x 9" baking pan well.
- In a small saucepan melt together then 4 squares of unsweetened chocolate and the 1 cup of butter. Stir occasionally.
- Allow the butter and chocolate to melt completely and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the room temp eggs, sugar, and vanilla, until well blended.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl and mix well.
- Add the cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and flour into the bowl and blend well.
- Pour the brownie mix into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes. Remove and set on a wire rack to cool. Start preparing frosting.
- In a small saucepan, melt together the 2 unsweetened chocolate squares and the 1/2 cup of butter. Stir until melted.
- In a bowl, add in the 4 cups of confectioner's sugar and vanilla.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the confectioner's sugar and beat with a hand mixer.
- Add in the half and half and beat until creamy. Add more half and half 1 tbsp at a time if needed.
- Spread the frosting over the brownies while still warm and spread evenly.
- Allow brownies to cool on a rack for 3 hours before cutting and serving.
TIP: You can also place the brownies in the refrigerator and allow them to cool this way. Allow at least 30 minutes on the counter with frosting to allow the brownies and frosting to set.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Square
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 251Total Fat: 12.9gSaturated Fat: 8gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 35.4gFiber: 1.3gSugar: 29.2gProtein: 1.9g
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: