S'mores brownies are the perfect combination of two classic delicious treats, bringing together the texture of gooey campfire marshmallows and the rich chocolatey flavor and texture of brownies.
S'mores are a classic campfire treat enjoyed by millions here in the United States. This messy goodness dessert traditionally consists of campfire-roasted marshmallows and a piece of chocolate bar sandwiched between two graham crackers.
To create these mouthwatering s'mores brownies, we will need to use a boxed brownie mix and we'll pour the rich brownie batter into a greased 8x8 baking pan and layer marshmallows on top, creating the ultimate dessert experience. With easy-to-follow steps and simple ingredients, this crowd-pleasing dessert is a great addition to gatherings, parties, or a delicious treat to finish up a fun summer day.
S'mores Brownies Recipe
Our mouthwatering S'mores Brownies recipe includes the following ingredients:
- 1 box brownie mix and its ingredients (your favorite boxed brownie mix or your favorite homemade brownie recipe)
- miniature marshmallows
- chocolate bars
- graham cracker squares
First, prepare the batter according to the recipe directions and grease an 8x8-inch baking pan. The directions may vary based on the brand of brownie mix or recipe you follow but bake the batter at the temperature and time listed for an 8x8 pan. This way, your s'mores brownies will be thick and fudgy.
Pour the brownie batter into the greased pan, spreading it evenly.
TIP: Cut and place parchment paper on the bottom of the pan for easy removal from the dish.
Bake the brownies in the preheated oven for the time amount listed on the recipe.
After the brownies are baked, remove the pan from the oven and layer the miniature marshmallows evenly on top of the brownies. Return the pan to the oven, and set it to broil.
Broil for 20-30 seconds, or until the marshmallows are golden brown and slightly toasted. Remove the pan from the oven immediately before the marshmallows begin to burn.
Once the S'mores Brownies are done, remove them from the oven and immediately sprinkle the broken graham cracker squares and chopped chocolate bar pieces evenly on top of the melted marshmallows.
Allow them to cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes before cutting them into squares or bars.
TIP: For a nice clean cut, run your knife under hot water before slicing, and wipe the knife with a paper towel between each cut.
By following this recipe, you should end up with an easy and delicious dessert, full of flavor that's perfect for all months of the year. Enjoy your homemade S'mores Brownies and have fun sharing them with friends and family!
Variations and Tips
While the classic s'mores brownie recipe includes graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate, here are some ways to modify the ingredients to suit your preferences or dietary needs. Mix and match flavors for something unique! For example:
- Brownie Mix: Substitute the brownie mix for a variety that fits your dietary needs.
- Alternative crackers: Substitute graham crackers with a gluten-free alternative, Biscoff cookies, or pretzels for a different flavor or texture.
- Marshmallow substitutes: If you're vegan or avoiding gelatin, use vegan marshmallows or marshmallow fluff as an alternative. Most marshmallows in stores are naturally gluten-free!
- Chocolate varieties: Instead of milk chocolate, you can use white chocolate, dark chocolate, or even a combination to create a variety of flavors in your s'mores brownies. Adding some caramel bits or chips will maximize the flavor of this S'mores Brownies recipe.
- Peanut butter: Use a peanut butter brownie mix to add some peanut butter flavor to these s'mores treats! Or add some peanut butter chips to the top of these brownies when they're hot out of the oven.
Storage and Freezing Suggestions
If you're making these brownies ahead of time or enjoying them later on in the day, proper storage and freezing can help keep your s'mores brownies fresh for the time you need. For maximum freshness, follow these easy tips:
- Room temperature storage: Store your brownies in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature. Store them away from heat and store them in a cool area.
- Refrigeration: To make these treats last longer, keep your brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. As time goes by, the freshness and quality of these treats will alter.
- Freezing: To freeze s'mores brownies, wrap each brownie individually in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag. For extra protection, place the Ziploc freezer bags into a large container before freezing.
- They can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, simply leave them at room temperature for a few hours before enjoying. Once the s'mores brownies have been thawed, do not refreeze.
- 1 package boxed brownie mix*
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 regular size chocolate bars, chopped
- 4 graham cracker squares, broken
- Preheat the oven to the brownie package directions and grease an 8x8 baking dish with baking spray.
- Prepare the brownie mix according to the directions on the box and pour it evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for the time it says on the back of the box for an 8x8 dish.
- Remove the brownies from the oven and spread the marshmallows evenly over the top of the brownies.
- Set the oven to broil and place the baking dish back into the oven for 30-40 seconds or until the tops of the marshmallows begin to brown. Immediately remove the pan from the oven to prevent burning.
- Once the pan is out of the oven, crush and sprinkle the graham cracker squares on top of the melted marshmallows, and lastly, sprinkle it with the chopped chocolate bars.
The additional ingredients needed for the brownies will differ depending on the brand of the boxed brownie mix or the homemade recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 brownie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 413Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 241mgCarbohydrates: 74gFiber: 0gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.