These Red Velvet Cupcakes are moist and creamy cupcakes made with “from scratch” cream cheese frosting and filled with sweet marshmallow cream.
These cupcakes are a delicious dessert for Valentine’s Day Christmas, and birthdays.
Cream Filled Red Velvet Cupcakes
These red velvet cupcakes have a surprise inside! Inside these moist and fluffy cupcakes is a sweet marshmallow cream center. It’s simple to make these cupcakes cream filled! I used a round piping tip to cut out holes in the center of the cupcakes and I saved the centers to crumble and use as a garnish after frosting. I filled a piping bag fitted with the round piping tip and placed the creamy filling inside. I then put the piping tip into the center of the cupcake and slowly squeezed the filling into the cupcake moving my hand upward to fill the hole completely to the top. That way you know the cupcake is getting filled with the cream and not just a touch of cream in the center.
Make It A Sheet Cake
If you would rather make a sheet cake instead of cupcakes, it can easily be done! Grease a 13×9 inch baking pan and pour the prepared batter into the pan, no ingredient adjustments needed! After it has completely cooled, You can either poke holes in the cake and fill it with the cream filling or just omit it completely. You will only need one batch of frosting for this cake if you are making it into a sheet cake.
Cake Flour Vs. All-Purpose Flour
If you want to use cake flour instead of all-purpose for this recipe, it can easily be done. Just measure 2 1/2 cups of cake flour in place of the all-purpose flour and omit the cornstarch. The purpose of the cornstarch in this recipe is to work with the all-purpose flour to make it a lighter texture. Since the protein contents are different between the two flours, this creates a nice balance!
Cream Cheese Frosting
When you think of cream cheese frosting you may think of frosting that doesn’t hold shape and even sometimes very creamy. The amount of powdered sugar in this recipe creates a stiffer frosting that is perfect when piping! If you want it even stiffer than this recipe provides, add a tablespoon of confectioner sugar at a time to reach your desired consistency. If you’re worried about it being too sweet, use cornstarch instead of the extra powdered sugar to reach your desired results.
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ sticks butter, unsalted
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 oz red food coloring
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 4½ cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup marshmallow fluff
- Preheat oven to 350° and line 2 muffin tins with 24 liners.
- Cream together the sugar, butter and eggs and in a large bowl.
- Add food coloring, white vinegar, and cocoa powder to the mix and blend well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking soda, and baking powder well.
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla to the wet ingredients.
- Slow beat in the flour mixture and mix well.
- Fill the liners ¾ of the way full and bake in the preheated oven for about 16 minutes. Use a toothpick to check if they are baked.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before filling with cream or frosting.
- In a small bowl, beat together the softened butter, vanilla, heavy cream, powdered sugar, and marshmallow fluff.
- Use a round piping tip to remove the centers of the cupcakes. Save the cake that is removed to garnish the frosting.
- Place in a piping bag with a round decorating piping tip.
- Squeeze enough filling into the center of the cupcakes, just until it is filled to the top.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Beat the cream cheese until it is smooth and broken down.
- Add in the softened butter and beat until it is blended well.
- Add in the vanilla and confectioner's sugar.
To get the tall frosting as pictured, double the recipe for the cream cheese frosting.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: