This Instant Pot Tomato and Spinach Penne Pasta is made with 4 ingredient pasta is made in the Instant Pot with penne noodles, tomato, spinach, and is garnished with a shredded Italian cheese blend.
Instant Pot Pasta
Making pasta in the Instant Pot is quick, easy, and stress-free once you learn these tricks:
- For every 6 ounces of pasta use 1 cup of water
- Submerge the pasta completely underwater
- Stagger the pasta pieces so that they don’t stick together (especially helpful for spaghetti noodles)
- Pressure cook the pasta for half the time it takes on the stovetop minus 1 minute
However, for this recipe, I reduced the amount of water from 4 cups to 3 cups for
one reason. I am using undrained diced tomatoes and the juices from the tomatoes will act as an additional liquid. When I add my diced tomatoes in, I try to place them on top of the penne pasta so that the pasta is barely showing.
*Pasta will not soften up in the Instant Pot if it is not submerged in water or covered with a liquid substance.
Instant Pot Tomato and Spinach Penne Pasta
After the penne pasta has pressure cooked and the pressure has been slowly and carefully released, then the chopped spinach is added.
It’s important to release the pressure slowly so that the water this is under pressure doesn’t spew from the valve! That gets quite messy and it can burn! Take your time releasing the pressure and won’t have a mess to clean up.
Once the pressure is released, remove the lid. The pasta then gets tossed with the chopped spinach and it’s ready to serve. It really is that simple to make this dish!
Add the finishing touches of the desired amount of an Italian cheese blend shredded cheese and serve. Really, simple!
Instant Pot Tomato and Spinach Penne Pasta – Perfect for Potlucks!
This pasta is so quick and easy to cook during busy weeknights (or weekends!) and it’s also really easy to put together for a dish to pass around!
You can even double this recipe – you will want to double the water in the pot since the pasta soaks up the water and double all the other ingredients as well.
The cook time stays the same and you’ll have more than enough to pass around!
- 3 cups water
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 16 oz penne pasta
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 ½ cups Italian blend cheese, shredded
- Pour the pasta into the Instant Pot.
- Spread the undrained diced tomatoes on top. Try to cover as many as you can.
- Pour in the 3 cups of water and close the lid.
- Set the Instant Pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes.
- Once it is done cooking, slowly and carefully release the pressure a little at a time to reduce the chance of spewing.
- Open the lid and toss in the chopped spinach.
- Stir the pasta and serve with the desired amount of the Italian cheese blend.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 311mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 13g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Instant Pot Sausage & Gnocchi Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup (Olive Garden Copycat)
- Instant Pot Creamy Tuscan Chicken