This Instant Pot Jamaican Jerk Chicken recipe is made with chicken thighs and with “made from scratch” seasonings. Made in the Instant Pot this recipe is delicious, flavorful, and ready in less than 30 minutes.
Homemade Jamaican Jerk Flavors
In this Instant Pot Jamaican Jerk Chicken recipe, a homemade blend of seasonings is made to recreate Jamaican jerk flavors. These seasonings include ginger, brown sugar, allspice, garlic, white pepper, and allspice. These seasonings are mixed together and dry-rubbed on the chicken thighs before placing them in the Instant Pot.
The juices inside the pot are chicken broth, white vinegar, and lime juice. The sliced oranges that are added into the pot release some juices as well. When cooking in the Instant Pot you always want at least a cup of liquid for the Instant Pot to come to pressure.
Natural Release vs. Quick Release
When cooking meats in the Instant Pot it’s important to perform a natural release. The reason for this is because performing a quick release causes the moisture to be drawn out of the meat. Quick-release used on meat creates dry and sometimes rubbery results.
Allowing the Instant Pot to naturally release the pressure in the pot allows the meat to stay flavorful, tender, and it locks in more of the flavor. Quick-release is ideal when cooking pasta because the pot is still cooking when pressure is being released. Using quick release prevents mushy noodles.
RELATED: Instant Pot Beef Back Ribs
Making Instant Pot Jamaican Jerk Chicken Thighs
After you gather all the spices you need for this recipe, it’s really quite simple! The first step is to rub the spices onto your chicken. Once that is done, the onion and the orange are sliced and added into the bottom of the Instant Pot liner. The chicken is added to the pot and the habaneros are added around the chicken.
The liquids are then added to the pot, careful not to wash the seasonings off the chicken when added it in. Once that is done, close the lid and set the pressure cooker to 10 minutes. After the time is up, allow a 10-minute pressure release and then quick release any remaining pressure if necessary. Open the lid, remove the chicken, and enjoy!
- 1-2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 orange, sliced
- 3 habanero peppers
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Combine the spices: cloves, thyme, ginger, brown sugar, allspice, nutmeg, white pepper, and salt.
- Rub onto the chicken thighs and set aside.
- Slice the onion, orange, and red pepper.
- Place the onion, orange slices, and red pepper into the bottom of the Instant Pot liner.
- Add the chicken with the dry rub and place the habaneros in with the chicken.
- Pour in the white vinegar, lime juice, and chicken broth.
- Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK for 10 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before releasing any remaining pressure via QR (Quick Release).
- Remove the chicken thighs from the pot and serve.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 574Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 291mgSodium: 1100mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 11gProtein: 56g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken (Panda Express Copycat)
- Easy Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Homemade Chili