Instant Pot Amish Macaroni Salad is made with all of the classic ingredients that create a creamy and flavorful macaroni salad.
Amish Macaroni Salad is a staple at potlucks during the Spring and Summer months. This macaroni salad is a great take-a-long dish and good to pack in cold lunches.
What's the difference between Amish Macaroni Salad and regular?
It's simple. It's the sweet and tangy flavors that are in the Amish Macaroni Salad that make it different.
Both macaroni salads have a lot of the same ingredients though.
Why isn't my macaroni salad creamy?
The pasta temperature makes a difference when making macaroni salad. If the wet ingredients are added to the pasta before it cools down the pasta will absorb the extra liquid and the pasta will become plumper. The result is dry macaroni salad. This common issue can definitely be avoided!
When making a macaroni salad, rinse the pasta after it is done cooking to wash off excess starch so that the macaroni doesn't clump into large pieces.
Allow the macaroni pasta to cool down before mixing the other ingredients to make this Instant Pot Amish Macaroni Salad.
RELATED: Instant Pot Macaroni Salad
Can I make macaroni salad ahead of time?
Yes, it is encouraged to make this Amish macaroni salad (or any macaroni salad) ahead of time. The minimum time for chilling is 1 hour but allowing the macaroni salad to chill overnight in the refrigerator will deepen the flavors and it will be more delicious.
If you can't wait that long though, allow at least an hour in the refrigerator so that the ingredients in the dressing can become cold.
What's in Amish Macaroni Salad?
The ingredients in this Instant Pot Macaroni Salad are the same as those that are in the stovetop version.
- Macaroni elbow pasta (Small, #35)
- 3 large eggs
- White onion
- Red bell pepper
- Sweet pickle relish
- Miracle Whip (or mayonnaise)
- Yellow mustard
- Celery seed
- Granulated sugar
- White vinegar
RELATED: Instant Pot Cowboy Beans
How to make Instant Pot Amish Macaroni Salad
Pressure cook the pasta and eggs- Add two cups of macaroni to the inner liner of the Instant Pot. Pour in two cups of water and top it off with the three eggs. Pressure cook on HIGH PRESSURE using the Manual/Pressure Cook setting for 4 minutes.
Once the four minutes are up, perform a quick release carefully away from the face. Do this in small increments so that water doesn't splurt out of the valve.
*Refer to your pressure cooker's manual for how to safely perform its functions.
Remove the eggs and place them in an ice bath to cool.
Rinse the pasta to prevent it from sticking together and allow it to cool before mixing in the other ingredients.
Make the salad dressing- In a large bowl, stir together the Miracle Whip (or mayonnaise), sweet pickle relish, yellow mustard, vinegar, and granulated sugar.
Sprinkle in the salt, and the celery seed. Stir to combine.
Chop the veggies- Dice the onion and the red bell pepper into small pieces.
Chop the eggs- Take the eggs out of the ice bath after allowing them to cool for 10 minutes. Peel the eggs and chop them into small pieces.
Combine the ingredients- Combine together the pasta with the veggies and eggs in a large bowl. Pour the salad dressing over the ingredients and stir until well combined.
Chill- Cover this Instant Pot Amish Macaroni Salad and chill it in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving. For best results, chill overnight for maximum flavor.
How long does macaraoni salad stay good?
Macaroni salad will stay fresh for up to 3 days if stored properly. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- 2 cups macaroni elbow pasta (I use #35), uncooked
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoon yellow mustard
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoon pickle relish
- Pour the 2 cups of elbow macaroni into the inner liner of the Instant Pot.
- Pour in two cups of water.
- Place 3 uncooked eggs carefully on top of the pasta.
- Pressure cook on HIGH PRESSURE using the Manual/Pressure Cook setting for 4 minutes.
- Once the four minutes are up, perform a quick release carefully away from the face. Do this in small increments so that water doesn't spurt out of the valve. *
- Remove the eggs and place them in an ice bath to cool for 10 minutes.
- Rinse the pasta to prevent it from sticking together and allow it to cool before mixing in the other ingredients.
- In a large bowl, stir together the Miracle Whip (or mayonnaise), sweet pickle relish, yellow mustard, vinegar, and granulated sugar.
- Sprinkle in the salt, and the celery seed. Stir to combine.
- Dice the onion, celery, and red bell pepper into small pieces.
- Take the eggs out of the ice bath and peel the eggs and chop them into small pieces.
- Combine together the pasta with the veggies and eggs in a large bowl.
- Pour the salad dressing mixture over the ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving. For best results, chill overnight for maximum flavor.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
*Refer to your pressure cookers manual to learn how to safely perform its functions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 474Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 763mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 7g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.