This Caramel Apple Pie is made with a “from scratch” crust. It’s filled with tart apples and drizzled with homemade caramel sauce.
This pie has a buttery streusel topping and pairs great with vanilla ice cream.
Tart Caramel Apple Pie
When baking this pie, it’s best to use tart apples. The sweetness in the homemade caramel sauce is balanced well with the crisp and tart flavor of the apples.
Granny Smith apples are a great variety to make this pie with but some other deliciously tart choices are Pink Lady, Cortland, Jonathan, and McIntosh apples.
This recipe uses peeled apples and they are thinly sliced. The apple slices cook more evenly when they’re thinly sliced and the flavor of the caramel soaks into them a bit more.
RELATED: Caramel Banana Muffins
I used my go-to recipe for Homemade Caramel Sauce but I tweaked it just enough for this recipe. It has more caramel filling this way and I omitted the salt.
This caramel sauce is so easy to make and it goes so well with desserts – it’s a must-try!
Homemade Pie Crust
Making homemade pie crust is easy. There are only a few ingredients in this crust and it creates a flaky, flavorful crust. It makes enough to make a bottom a 9-inch pie plate and enough to cover the top if you wish.
For this recipe, I wanted a bit of a “crunch” so I made a streusel topping. The extra pie crust is freezer friendly. Wrap the unused pie crust with saran wrap and place it in a freezer bag.
Once you’re ready to use it, lay it out and allow it thaw before trying to roll it out.
If instead, you are using a larger pie plate, the crust for this recipe will work well!
Caramel Apple Pie Streusel Topping
Making streusel topping for desserts is incredibly easy. I like to melt my butter down and stir brown sugar into it because it takes less time than to use use a fork to break up cold butter into the brown sugar.
Flour is added to the mixture to make it crumbly. Making streusel topping this way feels a bit wet but don’t worry. It’s best to use your fingers to pinch off pieces of the mixture and then crumble it on top of the pie.
The pie is baked at 375° for about 40 minutes. Allow the pie to cool before slicing into it. It tastes delicious served with ice cream!
- 5½ cups thinly sliced tart apples, peeled, cored
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4-6 tbsp water
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, (1 stick)
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, (½ stick)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Combine the 2 cups of all-purpose flour, the 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, and 2 tsp of ground cinnamon together in a bowl. It will be crumbly.
- Add the water in 1 tbsp at a time and blend together the ingredients until a ball of dough forms.
- If it is crumbly add a small amount more of water.
- Knead the dough and then roll it out wide enough fit inside the pie place.
- Press the dough into the pie plate and trim the edges.
- Peel and thinly slice the tart apples and layer half of them into the pie.
- Drizzle half of the caramel sauce on the apples, then repeat the layers.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping on top of the pie and bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the pie to cool before cutting.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter.
- Stir in the brown sugar and allow the sugar to melt.
- Add the heavy cream and heat to a low boil. Stir constantly and allow it to cook for about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add in the vanilla.
- Stir and allow it to cool.
- Melt the ¼ cup of butter then stir in the brown sugar. Add the flour and mix until it is crumbly.
- Pinch pieces off with fingers and sprinkle it on top of the pie.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408Total Fat: 14.9gSaturated Fat: 9.1gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 287mgCarbohydrates: 68.5gFiber: 5.6gSugar: 41.3gProtein: 3.5g