This red velvet poke cake stands out as a scrumptious and classic dessert all throughout the year. Combining the rich flavors of a classic red velvet cake with a creamy cream cheese frosting, this dessert is perfect for special occasions, holiday festivities, or simply as an indulgent treat to enjoy any time of year.
This Red Velvet Poke Cake is perfect for Christmas, Valentine's Day, or for someone special that loves red velvet. This cake is also a delicious dessert to make any time of year.
If you're a fan of red velvet, these Red Velvet Shortbread Cookies are delicious for Valentine's Day.
To make a delicious Red Velvet Poke Cake, you'll need the following ingredients:
For the Red Velvet Cake:
- Red velvet cake mix: This is the base of your cake. You can use a store-bought mix or make it from scratch. Depending on the brand of cake mix you use you will need different ingredients as described on the back of the box.
- Eggs: Eggs provide structure and volume to your cake. Depending on the cake mix you use or if you make it from scratch, you'll need a couple of eggs.
- Vegetable Oil: Vegetable oil adds moisture and a tender texture to the cake.
For the frosting and filling:
- Sweetened condensed milk: This ingredient helps create an extra layer of moisture and flavor the cake. It is poured into the holes of the cake.
- Unsalted Butter: Unsalted butter is beaten into the cream cheese frosting to create a buttery flavor that balances the sweetness of the confectioners' sugar.
- Cream cheese: Cream cheese adds a rich and tangy flavor to this red velvet cake.
- Powdered sugar: Also known as confectioners' sugar, this provides sweetness and helps make the frosting smooth and creamy.
- Vanilla extract: A touch of vanilla extract enhances the overall flavor of this cream cheese frosting.
See recipe card for quantities.
To make a delicious Red Velvet Poke Cake, follow these simple steps:
First, preheat your oven to the temperature directed on the back of the cake mix box. While the oven is preheating, prepare a 9x13-inch baking pan by greasing the bottom or lining the baking pan with parchment paper.
Next, prepare the red velvet cake mix according to the package instructions. If you're making the cake from scratch, start by combining the wet ingredients in the mixing bowl.
Once the cake batter is made, pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and use a spoon to smooth the cake batter evenly into the pan.
Bake the cake in the preheated oven for the time specified on the package for a 9x13 pan. Once baked, remove it from the oven and cool the cake for 5 minutes.
After five minutes, poke holes every ½ inch over the entire cake with the handle of a wooden spoon or a similar utensil with a round handle. Make sure to press the back of the spoon all the way into the cake. This allows the cake to absorb the sweetened condensed milk.
Open the can of sweetened condensed milk and carefully pour it evenly into the holes of the cake. Make sure to aim for the holes so that the sweetened condensed milk fills the holes well.
Finally, place your Red Velvet Poke Cake in the refrigerator to set and cool while the cream cheese frosting is made.
To make the cream cheese frosting:
Cream the softened butter and softened cream cheese together until smooth and creamy.
Beat in the vanilla extract and add the powdered sugar a little at a time to create a smooth and creamy frosting.
Once the cream cheese frosting is made, use an icing spatula to carefully spread the frosting evenly over the entire cake.
Allow this red velvet poke cake with sweetened condensed milk to chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours before serving.
Bake the cake according to directions and poke holes ½ inch apart over the entire cake.
Cool the cake for 5 minutes and then pour the sweetened condensed milk into the holes.
Allow the cake to cool completely and frost it with homemade cream cheese frosting.
Decorate the frosting with sprinkles and chill for 2 hours before slicing.
Hint: use a creamer pitcher or measuring cup to make it easier to pour the sweetened condensed milk into the holes in the poke cake.
When making a red velvet poke cake, there are a few substitutions you can use to change the ingredients in this recipe.
- Pudding - instead of using sweetened condensed milk, prepare vanilla pudding according to the package directions and use a spoon to press the pudding down in the holes.
- Milk - use milk in place of vegetable oil in the cake mix if desired.
Here are a few variations that you can try experimenting with to make this red velvet poke cake your own.
This recipe makes a great Red Velvet Christmas Poke Cake but if you want to make this cake for another occasion or want something other than red velvet, use a chocolate or white cake mix for a different flavor profile.
To make this poke cake for Christmas, decorate it with red and green sprinkles.
See this Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe that has marshmallow filling in the center.
To make a delicious red velvet poke cake recipe, you'll need the following equipment:
Stand mixer: A stand mixer is a great tool to make this cake. It will ensure your ingredients are thoroughly combined, and takes away the manual labor, resulting in a soft and moist cake. If you don't have a stand mixer, you can use a hand mixer in its place.
Mixing bowls: You'll need a few mixing bowls and using bowls that have a nonslip grip on the bottom prevent the bowls from sliding around on the counter while mixing.
Spatula: A spatula is a perfect tool for scraping the cake batter off the sides of the bowl to incorporate the scrapings back into the cake mix.
An icing spatula is a great tool for spreading the cream cheese frosting evenly over the cake.
9x13-inch baking pan: For this recipe, we use a 9x13 baking pan.
To maintain maximum freshness and flavor for this red velvet cake with condensed milk, the following information will help you store your poke cake properly, so you can enjoy it for days to come.
This cake should be stored in the refrigerator because of the use of cream cheese in the frosting.
Wrap the cake tightly with saran wrap or an airtight lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. For the best enjoyment, eat the poke cake within 3 days.
To serve, remove the cake slices from the pan and set them out for a few minutes to allow the cake to come to room temperature.
To slice the cake, run a knife under hot water and wipe it down with a paper towel. Slice the cake with the warm knife, wipe the knife, and dip it in hot water between slices. This will give clean edges when cutting the cake.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Red Velvet Poke Cake
- 15.25 ounce box red velvet cake mix + ingredients needed to make cake - eggs, oil & water
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven directed on the back of the cake mix for a 9x13 pan.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions.
- Bake the cake for the time it says on the package for a 9x13 pan.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes every ½ inch on the top of the cake.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk on top of the cake carefully making sure to fill all the holes.
Red Velvet Poke Cake
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream together the softened butter and softened cream cheese until it is smooth.
- Slowly beat the powdered sugar into the mixture as well as the vanilla extract.
- Beat the frosting until it is smooth.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the top of the entire cake and gently press the frosting down into the holes of the cake.
- Smooth the frosting and place the cake in the fridge to chill for about 2 hours.
- Decorate with sprinkles and serve.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Use a hot knife to slice the cake into clean and even slices.
Use a creamer pitcher to evenly fill the holes in the cake with sweetened condensed milk.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 631Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 21gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 246mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 0gSugar: 67gProtein: 7g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.