These Air Fryer Homemade Pop Tarts are made with pastry dough and filled with raspberry jam then air-fried in the air fryer.
Homemade Pastry Dough
I made pop tart pastries by making pastry dough. It’s fairly simple to do but you have to let it firm up in the refrigerator before trying to roll it out thinly. If for some reason your dough sticks to your rolling pin, add a little cornstarch and try rolling again. This should take care of any stickiness that may occur. You will want to roll the dough out to about 1/4″ thin so that you don’t’ end up with a thick pastry after air frying them.
If you don’t want to make your own pastry dough, you can use store-bought pie crusts so make these. You will not end up with as many pastries but it takes less work in the beginning. To get more rectangles, roll the scrap pieces up and use a rolling pin to flatten the dough back out.
Pop Tart Pastry Filling
For this recipe, I used raspberry because we really love it! Feel free to use any flavors that you like! You can use any jam you like! The directions stay the same, only the jam flavors change!
Here are some ideas for jam flavors:
RELATED: Air Fryer Cherry Hand Pies
Instant Pot Vortex Air Fryer Settings
To make air fryer homemade pop tarts you will need to these accessories and settings:
- Vortex racks
- Air Fry Setting
- Temperature set to 375°
- Time Setting set to 8 minutes.
Halfway through (at about 4 minutes), it will instruct you to turn your food. Simply pull out the racks and rotate the top rack to the bottom and the bottom rack to the top. Close the door and allow the pastries to finish cooking through.
Air Fryer Homemade Pop Tarts
If you don’t have the Vortex Plus, the directions will be just a little different. The temperature and settings stay the same but the placement depending on if you have an oven-style or basket-style will change how many you can air fry at a time. Don’t overcrowd your air fryer – just air fry the pastries in batches instead, if needed!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, (2 sticks) sliced
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup raspberry jam
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 egg, for egg wash
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- In a small saucepan, heat the raspberry jam, sugar, and cornstarch until combined well.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Combine the sugar, salt, and milk into a bowl.
- Add in the egg and slowly blend in the dough.
- Add the butter and knead until the butter is broken down and blended well into the mixture.
- Split into 2 parts and knead into a flat disc.
- Wrap each dough separately and chill for 20 minutes.
- Remove the dough once chilled and roll out to about ¼" thick.
- Slice into pop tart sized rectangles, repeating kneading and rolling dough as necessary.
Pop Tart Assembly
- Place raspberry filling in the center of a rectangle and brush the edges with egg wash.
- Place another pastry rectangle on top of the filling and seal the edges with a fork.
- Brush lightly with egg wash and poke small holes in the center of the pastry.
- Repeat the steps and lay them in the air fryer.
- Set the air fryer AIR FRY, 375° and 8 minutes.
- Turn the pastries and rotate the trays when told (if using Vortex).
- Mix together the confectioner's sugar and milk. Drizzle onto cooled pastries.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: