These air fryer cherry hand pies are made with homemade buttermilk crust and have a sweet glaze. They are made with fresh cherries and with hints of cinnamon.
Flaky Buttermilk Crust
These air-fried cherry pies are made with a flaky buttermilk crust. Preparing the dough with buttermilk creates a beautiful tender and flaky texture.
It’s also incredibly easy to make because it’s as simple as adding the ingredients together voila! the dough is formed.
If you don’t have any buttermilk you can easily substitute it with a mixture of buttermilk and lemon juice. Simply add the same amount of milk as buttermilk and 1 tsp of lemon juice for this recipe.
Rolling the Dough
After the dough has formed, make sure to knead it a few times to make sure there aren’t any extra crumbs hanging out at the bottom of your bowl. I roll my dough out on a silicone mat (it’s perfect to prevent sticking!) using my silicone rolling pin. I always use these when working with dough because one of my pet peeves is my dough sticking! The silicone tools save me so much frustration.
Air Fryer Settings
To make air fryer popcorn you will need to these accessories and settings:
- Vortex racks
- Air Fry Setting
- Temperature set to 350°
- Time Setting set to 10 minutes.
Halfway through (at about 5 minutes) it will instruct you to turn your food. This not only means to flip your food but to rotate the bottom rack to the top and the top to the bottom.
RELATED: Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken
Air Fryer Cherry Hand Pies
If you don’t have the Vortex Plus, the directions will be just a little different. The temperature and settings stay the same but the placement depending on if you have an oven-style or basket-style will change how many you can air fry at a time. Don’t overcrowd your air fryer – just air fry them in batches instead!
Glazing the Pies
If you want a nice thick glaze on these pies, be patient. Allow the pies to completely cool so that the glaze doesn’t melt in the pies.
After making the glaze in a small bowl but large enough to dip the air-fried pies in, I use a fork to flip the pies around in the glaze and use it to shake off any excess glaze. I place the glazed pies onto my silicone mat (or parchment paper) and allow them to harden completely before serving.
Warming the Air Fryer Cherry Hand Pies
These pies taste great warmed up slightly! Just pop them in the microwave for just a few seconds or you can use your reheat settings on your Vortex if you have one!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Rotisserie Chicken (Instant Pot Vortex)
- Instant Pot Olive Garden Chicken & Gnocchi Copycat
- Fried Blackberry Pies (Air Fryer)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 5 cups pitted cherries
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour in the vegetable oil and the buttermilk into the same bowl.
- Stir until dough forms and knead with hands until it is all combined.
- Roll out dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a 4" biscuit cutter or rim of the cup, cut out circles.
- Repeat rolling out the dough until the dough is used up.
- In a small saucepan, add the pitted cherries, cinnamon, lemon juice, sugar, water, and cornstarch.
- Bring to a boil, stir to combine well, and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Allow the filling to cool.
- Once the filling has cooled, add 1 tbsp of filling to eat pie and fold pies in half.
- Set the Air Fryer to 350°
- Spray the inside of the air fryer basket with nonstick spray.
- Add 3 or 4 pies to the basket and spray well with the nonstick spray.
- Cook on each side for about 5 minutes and remove to cool.
- Repeat the process until all pies are air fried.
- In a small bowl (big enough to dip the pies into) combine together the confectioner's sugar, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Once the pies have COMPLETELY cooled, dip both sides of the pies into the glaze.
- Use a fork to pick the pies up and lightly shake off the excess glaze.
- Place on parchment paper or a silicone mat and allow the glaze to harden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 99mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 3g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.