Skillet Sausage & Peppers Mac and Cheese made with ground sausage, red and yellow peppers, and Colby Jack and Sharp Cheddar Cheeses.
Ground Sausage Mac and Cheese
This fun and tasty spin on mac and cheese have diced peppers and ground sausage. The sausage is packed with flavor and when the peppers are sauteed in the sausage fat it renders a delicious sausage flavor throughout the whole dish.
Macaroni and Cheese
For this recipe, I prefer to use noodles such as Cellentani or Cavatappi. They absorb flavor well and hold their shape wonderfully. They’re also aesthetically pleasing and gives this dish a beautiful and appetizing look.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
Main or Side Dish
Whether this is made as to the main dish or served as a side, it’s one that the guests will enjoy.
To make this sausage & peppers mac and cheese, the ground sausage needs to be thoroughly cooked and then removed from the pan reserving the fat.
After dicing the peppers, they are added to the skillet to saute and then added to the cooked sausage.
Macaroni Cheese Sauce
To make the cheese sauce, heavy cream is heated in the skillet until it comes to a slow boil. Cubed Colby Jack and Sharp Cheddar Cheeses are then added to the heavy cream and allowed to melt. Butter is also to the cheese mixture and then it is all simmered and cooked down until it is smooth and creamy.
The sausage and peppers are mixed into the cooked pasta followed by the cheese sauce. It is then well combined and added to an oven-safe skillet and baked for 10 minutes.
At this time, shredded cheddar cheeses can be added before baking in the oven.
- 16 oz Cellentani Pasta, or Macaroni pasta
- 12 oz pork sausage, ground
- 6 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz Sharp Cheddar cheese, cubed
- 8 oz Colby Jack cheese, cubed
- pinch salt
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook and crumble the ground sausage and remove from the skillet.
- Dice the red and yellow peppers and saute them in the skillet for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the peppers and add them to the sausage.
- Add the heavy cream to the skillet and heat until simmering.
- Add the cubed cheeses and the butter and mix to melt.
- Cook and stir until creamy.
- Pour the cheese sauce into the sausge and pasta mixture and stir well to combine.
- Spread into an oven safe skillet and top with additional shredded cheese if desired.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 742Total Fat: 49.3gSaturated Fat: 25.7gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 832mgCarbohydrates: 47.4gFiber: 2.4gSugar: 1.9gProtein: 27.8g