Pistachio cookies are a delightful treat for nut lovers, offering a unique blend of flavors and textures. With their soft and chewy consistency, these cookies are made using crushed pistachios and instant pistachio pudding mix, ensuring an authentic and rich pistachio taste.
Requiring only eight simple ingredients, including white chocolate chips, these cookies are not only delicious but also incredibly easy to make.
Delivering a satisfying experience for those who appreciate cookie recipes with a nutty twist, pistachio cookies have become a popular choice for many. Their effortless preparation process and readily available ingredients make them an ideal choice for those who want to try their hand at a new and intriguing dessert option.
Pistachio Cookies are the perfect cookie to make during Halloween and the Christmas season. Their green color is also great for St. Patrick's Day.
If you're a fan of pistachios, another delicious pistachio cookie recipe is these Dark Chocolate Chip Pistachio Cookies. These chewy pistachio cookies are delicious cookies that create a combination of chocolate chip and pistachio flavors.
Ingredients in Pistachio Cookies
The ingredients in these cookies are everyday pantry ingredients as well as the instant pistachio pudding mix, pistachios, and white chocolate chips.
For the ingredient amounts and full directions for how to make these cookies, check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post!
- Salted butter - if using unsalted butter, add 1 teaspoon of salt to the ingredients.
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking Soda
- All-purpose flour
- Pistachios - crushed (a food processor is great for this)
- White chocolate chip morsels
- Pistachio instant pudding - pudding mixes add a nice texture to the cookies and adds pistachio flavor as well as a nice green color.
RELATED: Mint Chocolate Brownies
How to Make Pistachio Cookies
To make this easy cookie recipe, begin by shelling and coarsely chopping a half cup of raw pistachios. You can crush them using a rolling pin in a bag or by giving them a few short pulses in a food processor.
Once the pistachios are ready, mix the room temperature salted butter and sugar in a large bowl until you have a smooth consistency. Add eggs and instant pudding mix to the butter-sugar blend, mixing well. Incorporate the baking soda and all-purpose flour into the wet ingredients. If using unsalted butter, include 1 teaspoon of salt. Finally, fold in the crushed pistachios and white chocolate chips. If desired, add a little green food coloring to the mix to enhance the green color.
To bake, line the cookie sheets with parchment paper or silpat mats. Scoop 1.5 tablespoons of cookie dough onto the prepared sheets or use a #40 cookie scoop. Bake the cookies for 9-12 minutes, depending on your oven's temperature settings.
Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire cooling rack for complete cooling. To maintain freshness, store the cookies in an airtight container.
Pistachio pudding cookies are a delightful variation to try. Follow the same steps with the addition of instant pistachio pudding mix to achieve a unique, flavorful twist on the classic recipe.
With a confident and knowledgeable approach, your homemade pistachio cookies will be a hit, boasting their irresistible combination of flavors and textures.
Hint: Crushing pistachios can be effortlessly done by using a food processor for a few quick pulses or placing them in a zippered bag and gently crushing them with a rolling pin. You can also use ground pistachios in this cookie recipe.
RELATED: Green Velvet Cupcakes
Substitutions in Pistachio Cookies
When preparing a pistachio cookie recipe, it might be necessary to find suitable alternatives for certain ingredients. Here's a list of substitutions that can be used to achieve similar flavors and textures in your pistachio cookies:
- Cool Completely: Before storing, let the cookies cool completely on a wire rack. Placing warm cookies in an airtight container might cause condensation, making them soggy.
- Airtight Container: Use an airtight container or resealable plastic bag to keep your cookies fresh. Make sure the container is large enough to store the cookies without squishing them.
- Layering: If stacking your cookies, place a sheet of parchment or wax paper between the layers to prevent them from sticking together.
- Room Temperature: Store the cookies at room temperature for up to a week. Keep the container away from heat sources or direct sunlight to avoid melting the white chocolate chips in the cookies.
- Freezing: Pistachio pudding cookies can be frozen for up to three months. Make sure to wrap them individually in plastic wrap before placing them in a freezer-safe airtight container. To thaw, simply leave the cookies at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
- Other Nuts: In place of pistachios, consider using almonds, cashews, or hazelnuts. These nuts can provide a comparable taste and texture, while still offering a satisfying crunch.
- Seeds: Pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are healthy substitutes for pistachios that offer a unique taste and pleasant texture in baked goods.
- Flavor Enhancers: Pistachio oil or pistachio extract can be used to intensify the pistachio flavor. For a hint of vanilla add ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract to the recipe.
When substituting ingredients in a pistachio cookie recipe, it's essential to maintain the overall balance of flavors, as well as the desired texture.
Variations for Pistachio Cookies
Switching the salted butter with unsalted butter is possible in baking these cookies. Just add a teaspoon of salt to the flour blend.
For a delightful twist, try making cranberry pistachio cookies by incorporating dried cranberries into the dough. This will offer a balance of flavors with a sweet, tangy, and nutty combination.
Essential Tools for Pistachio Cookie Preparation
To make delightful pistachio cookies, it's crucial you have the right set of tools on hand. The following list outlines the necessary utensils and equipment for ensuring a smooth and successful baking experience:
- Mixing bowls: Various sizes for combining wet and dry ingredients.
- Electric mixer: For effectively creaming together butter and sugar, and blending in other ingredients.
- Measuring cups and spoons: Essential for accurately portioning out ingredients.
- Baking trays: Two large trays for evenly spacing and baking your cookies.
- Parchment paper: For lining baking trays and ensuring cookies don't stick.
- Spatula: For stirring and folding in dry ingredients, as well as transferring cookies to trays.
- Food processor or chopper: To finely grind pistachios for the cookie dough.
Having these tools in your arsenal will set you up for success in creating mouthwatering pistachio cookies. Remember to follow the recipe instructions closely and enjoy the process of crafting these scrumptious treats.
Storing Pistachio Pudding Cookies
To maintain the freshness and deliciousness of your pistachio pudding cookies, it's important to store them correctly. Here are a few simple tips to help you properly store your cookies:
By following these storage tips, you can enjoy your homemade pistachio pudding cookies for an extended period, and maintain their irresistible taste and texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Enhance the Pistachio Cookie Flavor
To intensify the flavor of your pistachio cookies, consider incorporating additional ingredients and seasonings into the recipe. Some options include:
- Adding vanilla or almond extract to the dough to deepen the overall flavor
- Add pistachio extract to the dough to enhance the nutty flavor of the pistachios.
- Sprinkling sea salt or crushed pistachios on top of the cookies before baking
Can I Use Salted Pistachios in Pistachio Cookies?
Yes, you can use salted pistachios for baking cookies. In fact, some recipes call specifically for roasted and salted pistachios, as the salt provides a nice contrast to the sweetness of the cookies. However, when using salted pistachios, you may want to adjust the added salt content in your recipe accordingly to maintain a balanced flavor.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: White Chocolate Mint Chip Cookies
Delicious Spring Desserts
Spring brings a craving for spring-like colors and new flavors. Here are some other ideas for spring desserts other than these pistachio cookies!
Lemon is a favorite flavor during the spring months and this Lemon Poke Cake is incredibly easy to make and sure to satisfy that craving for a bright and refreshing flavor. It also just takes a few everyday ingredients to make this delicious cake!
Butter pecan cake is another favorite dessert during spring and summer and this cake is a great addition to the Easter dinner table.
This cake is made completely from scratch as well as the delicious creamy smooth cream cheese frosting. This cake is a southern delight!
Last but not least, lemon and blueberry are a perfect pair for spring flavors and they come together to make this delicious and moist blueberry lemon pound cake.
- 1 cup salted butter*, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3.4 ounce instant pistachio pudding (1 box)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup pistachios, crushed
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare cookie sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
- Combine the softened butter and the sugar together in a bowl.
- Beat in the eggs and add in the instant pudding mix.
- Add the flour and baking soda and combine well until soft dough forms.
- Stir in the white chocolate chips and the crushed pistachios.
- Scoop by 1.5 tablespoons (or use a #40 cookie scoop) and place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 9-12 minutes, or until the bottoms are lightly browned.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container once cool.
*You can substitute the salted butter for unsalted butter. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the flour mixture when making the cookies this way.
An easy way to crush the pistachios is to use a food processor and give the nuts a few quick pulses to coarsely chop them. An alternative to a food processor is to add them to a zipped bag and use a rolling pin to gently crush the pistachios.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 201Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 142mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 3g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.