This Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup is made in the Instant Pot with a wild rice blend, fresh mushrooms, and fresh vegetables.
Wild Rice Blend
For this recipe, I use a wild rice blend. It is a blend of wild rice and jasmine rice. I find that jasmine rice cooks beautifully in the Instant Pot and by using the pot in pot method, the rice comes out great!
To do the pot in pot method, 3 cups of liquid is added to the bottom pot along with the chopped veggies.
In a separate pot, the wild rice blend is rinsed and added to the pot with the appropriate amount of water. The Instant Pot is then closed and set to cook in the pressure cooker for just 4 minutes!
Once the wild rice and mushroom soup is cooking, it’s time to create the roux. Butter is melted in a small saucepan and cornstarch is added as the thickening agent. Once the ingredients are blended, half & half is added and simmered until the roux becomes thickened and bubbly.
Instant Pot Wild Rice Gluten-Free Meal
Instant Pot Wild Rice & Mushroom Soup is naturally gluten-free! This meal is warm, comforting, and fulfilling. Not only that, but wild rice has more nutrients than other rice varieties! It has fewer calories and higher protein content!
RELATED: Instant Pot Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 ½ cups wild rice blend
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ¼ cup carrots, chopped
- 1 ½ cup white mushrooms, sliced, cleaned
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 tsp thyme
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and add the olive oil.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots until firm-tender.
- Press cancel on the Instant Pot and add 3 cups of chicken broth, thyme, and the mushrooms.
- Rinse the wild rice blend and add to a second pot (stainless steel that fits inside the Instant Pot). Pour in the 1 cup of chicken broth.
- Stack the pots and close the Instant Pot and set to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, create a roux in a small saucepan by melting the butter and adding the cornstarch.
- Pour in the half & half and stir. Allow the sauce to thicken.
- Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and pour in the roux.
- Stir to combine, add in the cooked rice and serve.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 15.7gSaturated Fat: 8.3gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 590mgCarbohydrates: 16.6gFiber: 1.1gSugar: 2.2gProtein: 6.4g