This Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings recipe is made in the Instant Pot and it's the perfect dump and start meal for busy nights.
The chicken can be thrown in frozen or thawed and there are no time adjustments between the two! It also makes a great freezer dump-and-go meal!!
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
This is a recipe that I have been making for my family for many years on the stove-top. After converting my recipe to the Instant Pot, I have never made it on the stovetop again. It's quick, super easy, and there's no babysitting the stove.
Ingredients in Chicken and Dumplings
This is not the traditional chicken and dumpling recipe. This recipe is one that includes veggies and it makes a full-bodied meal.
- Chicken breasts- these can be diced, chopped, thrown in whole and shredded later or even completely frozen
- Chicken broth
- Russet potatoes
- Poultry seasoning
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Canned biscuits (or homemade - recipe for them lower in the post)
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
Dump and Start Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Have you ever had an evening where you realized you forgot to lay out any meat to thaw for dinner? I do it all the time!
One of my favorite things about the Instant Pot is the ability to add frozen meats to the meal and still have it perfectly cooked when the time is up.
When pressure cooking poultry, or any meat for that matter, it's important to allow the meat pot to naturally release pressure.
This allows the meat to stay juicy and tender. If you quickly release the pressure it actually sucks out the moisture and it gives the meat a tough, rubbery texture.
Frozen Meal Prep
Another great thing about this Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings recipe is that it can be frozen ahead of time with the diced veggies, spices, and chicken.
On the day of cooking, it's as easy as adding the frozen mixture to the pot along with the chicken broth.
After the pot is done pressure cooking, you then add in your canned biscuits and your meal is done! It takes very little work, either way, but prepping and freezing meals really take the stress out of busy weeknights.
Diced or Whole Chicken Breast
This is really up to you. If you prefer your chicken to be diced into bite-sized pieces, do it! I actually make it both ways depending on whether or not I am using frozen chicken breasts or not.
It can also be frozen the same way, simply dice up the chicken and add it to the freezer bag, shape it to the size of your Instant Pot for easy dumping, and freeze!
Adding Ingredients to the Instant Pot
Making this Instant Pot Chicken & Dumplings recipe is so simple. After dicing the veggies and cubing the chicken, you just dump it all into the pot along with the seasonings and broth. Set your Instant Pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK and set the timer to 15 minutes.
Super Simple Homemade Dumplings
After the timer has gone off, allow the pot to naturally release pressure. Once the pressure has released, remove the lid once it is safe to do so.
Press saute on the Instant Pot, add in rolled biscuits and cook for about 5-10 minutes. While the dumplings are cooking, stir them in the pot to ensure they are being cooked evenly and to let the juices soak into the dumplings.
I often used canned biscuits. I roll roughly 8 small biscuits out of each biscuit in the can. Because they plump up while the dumplings are sauteing, larger biscuits will make the dumplings rather large.
Delicious Hearty Meal for the Family
As a result, this recipe is a moist, delicious, and flavorful hearty meal that your family will love. Due to the simplicity of this meal, it's certainly a regular in rotation in our home. You just can't beat a meal that tastes this good and that is so quick to make!
For ease, I like to use biscuits to make my dumplings but you can use made from scratch dumplings if you prefer. To make the dumplings you will need flour, salt, baking powder, salt, shortening, and milk.
To make the dumplings:
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon shortening
- ¾ cup of milk
Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat in the shortening until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in the milk and drop by spoonfuls into the Instant Pot when it is on Saute.
- 4 chicken breasts, cubed (whole frozen breasts work well, too!)
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 russet potatoes, cubed
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can refrigerated biscuits
- fresh parsley
- Add 2 tablespoon butter to Instant Pot.
- Lay cubed chicken breasts (or frozen breasts) in the Instant Pot and pour chicken stock over top of it.
- Add in carrots, celery, onion, and potatoes.
- Top with poultry seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Use a spoon to mix.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and select the MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK setting and adjust to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut biscuits and roll into balls.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes.
- Turn the setting to SAUTE on the Instant Pot and add in the balled biscuits and stir frequently for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
You May Also Like:
- Instant Pot White Cheddar Jack Mac N Cheese
- Mini Chicken Pot Pies with Puff Pastry
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Taco Soup
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.