Delicious and filled with veggies – this Instant Pot chicken burrito bowl is ready in less than 30 minutes.
These Instant Pot chicken burrito bowls are a great solution for a filling lunch or for a quick weeknight meal.
Quick Weeknight Meal
It isn’t always easy coming up with a quick and easy weeknight meal. Between busy schedules and just running out of ideas for dinner time – this is one that is simple, quick, easy, and certainly tasty!
This recipe is ready to serve and eat in less than 30 minutes and there’s no babysitting the stove because it’s all made at once in the Instant Pot.
In this Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl recipe, I use a homemade taco seasoning mix but by skipping this step and using a taco seasoning packet, it can save even more time.
Simply dump the taco seasoning packet into the pot before dumping the salsa in. No need to pre-measure spices if you don’t want to.
I saute my chicken breast before adding any other ingredients because it helps lock in the flavor. This SAUTE step can be skipped and just layering the chicken on the bottom before adding the other ingredients.
Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl Variations
One of the best things about creating burrito bowls is that they can be customized!
You can omit the chicken and use vegetable broth to make it vegetarian.
For more protein and lower cholesterol content, switch the chicken for ground turkey.
You use red, orange, or yellow peppers instead of just red peppers as stated in this recipe.
The heat of the dish can be changed by using the type of salsa you add.
Making the Chicken Burrito Bowls in the Instant Pot
Making these burrito bowls in the Instant Pot is incredibly easy and it only takes a few simple steps from start to finish.
If sauteing the chicken, add the oil to the Instant Pot while on the SAUTE setting. Add the chicken and brown all sides of the meat. Once that is done, press CANCEL on the pot and add all the veggies, followed by the taco seasoning.
The green chilies and the cup of salsa are layered on top, then finally the long grain rice (Jasmine Rice works, too!) and the chicken broth top off the ingredients.
After closing the lid of the Instant Pot, pressure cook on MANUAL (or PRESSURE COOK) for 7 minutes. Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure for 5 minutes (to prevent the pot from spewing!)
Stir the ingredients together once the lid is removed and serve.
Garnishing the Burrito Bowls
When serving the burrito bowls, sprinkle with shredded cheese, sliced avocado, or garnish with fresh cilantro. Serving the bowls with tortilla chips is also a fun way to serve these bowls.
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup chicken broth, reduced-sodium
- 1 red onion, diced
- 10 oz super sweet corn
- 15 oz black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup salsa, of choice
- 4.5 oz green chilies
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked, or Jasmine Rice
- 1 red pepper, diced
Taco Seasoning Mix*
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTE and add 1 tbsp of oil. Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized cubes and add to the Instant Pot and brown all sides of the meat.
- Press Cancel on the Instant Pot. Add in the black beans, super sweet corn, red onions, and diced red pepper.
- Sprinkle the taco seasoning mix into the pot.
- Add in the green chilies and the cup of salsa.
- Add in the rice and top with the chicken broth. Do not stir.
- Close the lid and set the Instant Pot to 7 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to NATURALLY RELEASE for 5 minutes before QUICK RELEASING any pressure.
- Remove the lid, stir the contents and serve.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 0.5gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 1223mgCarbohydrates: 46.2gFiber: 14.2gSugar: 19.3gProtein: 24.5g
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: