These chewy chocolatey brownie cookies are made from scratch and baked with coffee to intensify the flavor of these cookies.
Brownie cookies are rich in chocolate flavor and every bite is chewy with crisp edges.
These cookies are like individual brownies that have the best of both worlds- chewy and tender on the inside and crispy on the outside.
Homemade Brownie Cookies
Unlike using a brownie mix to make these cookies, these cookies are made scratch. These cookies are made using everyday ingredients and they have that fresh homebaked flavor and texture.
The ingredients are simple everyday ingredients and this recipe for brownie cookies is easy to make.
RELATED: Toffee Pecan Cookies
Ingredients in Chewy Brownie Cookies
These cookies are made from scratch but they're easy to make and use very common pantry staples.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Coffee granules or espresso powder
- White granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar, packed
- Unsalted butter, melted
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Semi sweet chocolate chips, (add more if desired)
Recipe for Brownie Cookies
Mix the wet ingredients- In a bowl, combine together the cocoa powder coffee (or espresso powder), granulated sugar, brown sugar, melted butter, and vegetable oil.
Beat in egg and vanilla until mixed well.
Mix the dry ingredients- In a separate bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
Combine the ingredients- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until the dry ingredients are moistened. Avoid overmixing the dough. It will cause the brownie cookies to be dense and dry.
Scoop the cookie dough- Scoop using a #30 cookie scoop (or by 2 tablespoons full) onto the parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. If desired, place additional chocolate chips on top of the cookies before baking. Bake one cookie sheet at a time.
RELATED: Flourless Chocolate Cookies
Bake the cookies- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will be soft like a brownie hot out of the oven but will firm up as they cool.
Transfer the cookies to a wire cooling rack after letting the cookies rest for 10 minutes. Store these brownie cookies in an air-tight container.
Why does my brownie cookies not crack?
There are a few reasons why brownie cookies won't crack.
It's quite possible that the oven isn't hot enough. Also, the cookies should spread and rise as they bake which creates the crack in the cookies.
Another reason is the butter and the sugars weren't creamed enough.
If the ingredients aren't properly mixed it makes the leavening agents work harder to do what they are supposed to do- rise.
Speaking of leavening, it is possible the leavening agents are old or expired.
Baking powders and sodas should be replaced every few months for freshness and quality.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules or espresso powder
- ½ cup white granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ⅓ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi- sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine together the cocoa powder coffee (or espresso powder), granulated sugar, brown sugar, melted butter and vegetable oil.
- Beat in egg and vanilla until mixed well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until the dry ingredients are moistened. Avoid over mixing the cookie dough.
- Use a spoon to mix in the cup of chocolate chips.
- Scoop using a #30 cookie scoop (or by 2 tablespoons full) onto the parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Place extra chocolate chips on top of the cookies if desired.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. The cookies will be soft like a brownie hot out of the oven but will firm up as they cool.
Over mixing the dough will cause the cookies to be dense and dry, Mix the cookie dough just until the dry ingredients are moistened and incorporated into the dough.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 72mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 2g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.