Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake is a delightful mouth-watering dessert that is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or an afternoon snack. Filled with juicy blueberries and the creaminess of cream cheese, this coffee cake is a keeper.
This recipe is perfect for blueberry season or anytime that coffee cake would make a fitting breakfast such as Easter and Christmas.
This was inspired by my Sour Cream Coffee Cake on this site, another delicious coffee cake recipe that is great for any occasion.
To make a delicious Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake, you'll need these easy ingredients:
- Fresh or frozen blueberries: Fresh blueberries are preferred in this recipe but frozen blueberries can be used. If using frozen blueberries, keep them frozen until ready to mix into the coffee cake batter.
- All-purpose flour: All purpose flour is used in this recipe and creates structure.
- Granulated sugar: adds sweetness to the cake, and adds crunch and sweetness to the streusel topping.
- Baking powder: this helps the cake rise during baking, creating a tender delicious crumb.
- Salt: brings out the flavor in the cake
- Butter: provides a buttery flavor and moistness to the cake.
- Eggs: the eggs act as a binding agent and hold the coffee cake together
- Vanilla extract: enhances and gives a warm flavor to baked goods.
- Cream cheese: the chopped pieces of cream cheese add a creamy and tangy flavor to the filling.
- Milk: creates a fluffy tender cake
- Lemon juice: brings out the blueberry flavors
For the streusel topping, you will need all-purpose flour, lemon juice, granulated sugar, and softened butter.
See recipe card for quantities.
Follow these easy-to-follow directions to make this Blueberry Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese.
Preheat your oven to 375°F and prepare a 9x9 baking dish by lining it with parchment paper or coating it with non-stick spray.
In a large bowl, combine the softened butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs in one at a time until combined. Stir in the vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl, combine the all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
Add ⅓ of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients followed by ⅓ of the milk. Repeat the process ending with the flour.
Top the flour with the blueberries and gently fold them into the batter.
Chop the cream cheese into small pieces and gently stir them into the batter. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
Make the crumb topping by using a fork or pastry blender by cutting the softened butter into the remaining flour and mixing in the lemon juice and remaining sugar.
Sprinkle the crumb topping over the cake batter evenly distributing it over the entire cake.
Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow the coffee cake to cool in the baking dish for about 15 to 20 minutes before removing from the pan, slicing, and serving.
Hint: Use softened butter when making the crumb topping to make it easy to blend the butter and flour together. Avoid using melted butter.
- Blueberries - For this recipe, fresh blueberries are used but frozen blueberries can easily be substituted. To use frozen blueberries, keep them frozen until mixing them into the batter.
- Gluten Free - use gluten free measure for measure flour to create a gluten free blueberry cream cheese coffee cake version. The overall texture of the cake will change when using gluten free flour.
There are a few variations of Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake that will change the flavor to your liking.
- Add berries - instead of two cups of blueberries mix and match berries together for a coffee cake with mixed berries.
- Add spices - add a little cinnamon and nutmeg to give the coffee cake a warm flavor
- Add more crumb - add a little brown sugar to the crumb topping to make it crunchier.
See this Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake version on my website! It's great for those that love chocolate.
When preparing a Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake, you'll need some essential tools to make baking this recipe easy.
A 9x9 baking pan is essential for baking this coffee cake. Parchment paper lining the baking pan will help release the cake easily from the pan after it is cooled.
When making a crumb topping, a large fork or a pastry cutter is ideal for cutting the butter into the flour, creating a perfectly crumbly topping to finish off your cake.
Storing your Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake properly is important to maintain freshness and flavor. To do so, follow these helpful tips:
To keep the moisture and freshness locked into the cake, allow the coffee cake to cool completely before storing it in airtight containers.
In the refrigerator, the coffee cake will last for 4 to 5 days when stored properly. When ready to serve, allow the cake to come to room temperature or microwave it for a few seconds.
In the freezer, it can last up to 3 months when wrapped and stored properly. Before freezing, slice the cake into squares for easy eating later and wrap them tightly in plastic wrap. Place the wrapped squares in a freezer safe bag.
When you're ready to enjoy the Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake, allow it to thaw in the refrigerator for a few hours if frozen. After it has thawed, you can warm it up in the microwave for a few seconds before eating.
Keep an eye on the Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake while baking to avoid overbaking. Overbaking will result in a dry cake.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and prepare a 9x9 baking dish by lining it with parchment paper or coating it with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the softened butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs in one at a time until combined. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the all purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add ⅓ of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients followed by ⅓ of the milk. Repeat the process ending with the flour.
- Top the flour with the blueberries and gently fold them into the batter.
- Chop the cream cheese into cubes and gently stir them into the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
- Make the crumb topping by using a fork or pastry blender by cutting the softened butter into the remaining flour and cutting in the lemon juice and remaining sugar.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the cake batter evenly distributing it over the entire cake.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the coffee cake to cool in the baking dish for about 15 to 20 minutes before removing from the pan, slicing and serving.
For best results, use fresh blueberries.
Coating the blueberries with flour will help prevent them fro sinking into the batter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 309Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 4g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.
Dana is an experienced recipe creator who crafts easy and delicious recipes for all levels of home cooks.
Her recipes range from classic comfort foods to healthy and nutritious meals, and she is always on the lookout for new and exciting ways to bring flavor and variety to the table.