These air fryer sweet potato fries are sweet, salty, and crispy. These fries are tossed in olive oil and sprinkled with garlic, paprika, cayenne, and salt and pepper before air frying to delicious crispy perfection.
Pair these fries with a cinnamon sugar dipping sauce for a sweet treat or with a garlic aioli sauce for something a little more savory.
Ingredients in Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
It takes just a few ingredients to make these crispy air fryer sweet potato fries. Below are also ingredients for both a sweet and savory dipping sauce.
- Sweet potatoes – two, washed and peeled
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
Ingredients needed for Cinnamon Sugar Dipping Sauce:
- Unsalted butter
- Light brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Greek plain yogurt
The butter and the brown sugar are melted in a saucepan and the ground cinnamon is mixed in. Once it has melted and the mixture is removed from heat, the Greek yogurt is mixed in to make a creamy and smooth cinnamon sugar dipping sauce.
Ingredients in Garlic Aioli Sauce
- Garlic, minced – a garlic press is a great tool for mincing garlic
- Garlic powder
- Lime juice – preserves flavor
- Salt and pepper – to taste
If you don’t want a sweet dipping sauce, then this savory option is a favorite. Garlic aioli is made with fresh ingredients for maximum freshness and flavor.
RELATED: Air Fryer French Bread Pizza
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries in the Air Fryer
Prepare the sweet potatoes – Scrub the sweet potatoes clean and peel them. Once peeled, slice them in half lengthwise and again in 1/4 inch thickness. Cut them all evenly so that the fries air fry and you have an even cooking on all fries.
TIP: A potato peeler makes the process of peeling potatoes faster and less waste than using a knife.
Toss in olive oil and season – Toss the cut sweet potato fries in olive oil and then sprinkle the coated potatoes with salt, garlic powder, paprika cayenne, and black pepper.
Make sure to toss the fries to coat evenly to ensure that the flavor is spread evenly among all of the fries before air frying.
Prepare the air fryer – Prepare the air fryer by setting it to 380°F. Once preheated, add the sweet potato fries in a single layer and set it for 12 minutes. Halfway through, give the basket a shake or rotate the trays if using an oven-style air fryer.
Shaking or rotating the drays is essential is it will create a crisp and even cooking on the fries.
Serve immediately for the ultimate crispness of the air-fried sweet potato fries. Serve with your favorite sweet or savory dipping sauce. Cinnamon sugar dipping sauce and garlic aioli sauce are great dipping sauces for sweet potato fries.
RELATED: Caramel Banana Muffins
How to Use an Air Fryer to make Sweet Potato Fries
The method of making these air fryer sweet potato fries depends on the air fryer you are using. If using a basket-style air fryer, you will need to remove the basket from the air frying unit halfway through air frying and give it a shake to move the fries around so that the sweet potato fries get crispy on all sides.
You will also want to make sure there is ample space between the fries when beginning air frying so that they don’t stick together and they will air fry evenly.
If using an oven-style air fryer with trays, spread the sweet potato fries in an even layer on each tray. Add the trays to the air fryer and halfway through cooking rotate the trays and finish air frying.
Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 sweet potatoes, washed & peeled
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tap garlic powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
Cinnamon Sugar Dipping Sauce
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Greek plain yogurt
Sweet Potato Fries
- Scrub and peel the sweet potatoes and then slice them in half lengthwise and again in ¼ inch thick pieces. Cut the potatoes evenly for even cooking.
- Add the olive oil, salt, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and black pepper to a medium sized bowl.
- Add the fries and toss to coat well with the oil mixture.
- Set the air fryer to 380°F.
- Add the sweet potato fries to the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook in batches. Give enough space between the fries.
- Air fry for 12 minutes - giving the basket a shake half way through. If using an oven-style air fryer, rotate the trays half way through.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
Cinnamon Sugar Dipping Sauce
- Melt 2 tbsp of unsalted butter in a small saucepan with 2 tbsp brown sugar.
- Stir in 1 tsp ground cinnamon.
- Remove from the stove and stir in ¼ cup Greek plain yogurt.
- Whisk together to create a sauce.
Garlic Aioli Sauce
- Mix together 1 cup of mayonnaise with 2 tsp minced garlic, ½ tsp garlic powder, and 2 tsp lime juice together in a small bowl.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve with the air fried sweet potato fries.
Serve immediately for maximum freshness and crispiness.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 324mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.