These vanilla confetti cupcakes are made with a vanilla cupcake batter mixed with rainbow sprinkles and frosted with vanilla buttercream.
Vanilla Confetti Cupcakes Batter
These cupcakes are full of delicious vanilla flavor. By not overbeating the cupcake batter, you get a moist and fluffy cupcake. The trick is to beat the ingredients slowly and just until combined, this prevents the cupcakes from becoming dense. I always use my hand mixer on low when beating in my ingredients and I use a spoon to mix in the confetti sprinkles at the end.
This recipe uses my go-to for buttercream frosting. I always make my frosting a little stiffer because it makes it ideal for piping. You can make it creamier by adding more milk 1 tablespoon at a time if you want to make it easily spreadable. If you happen to add too much milk, simply add 1/4 cup more of powdered sugar to make the frosting stiffer. This buttercream recipe is essentially hard to fail!
Accessories Need for Piping:
Holiday Confetti Cupcakes
The best things about the cupcakes (other than the flavor!) is the ability to dress them up for any occasion. For Christmas, red and green sprinkles would be perfect as well as shades of blue! Cupcakes with bright green or even pastel sprinkles would be perfect for spring and the all-American patriotic red, white, and blue is perfect for the 4th of July.
I used patriotic flag cupcake wrappers like these to dress these cupcakes up for a 4th of July celebration and served them with cute napkins like these. I love versatile these cupcakes are! They’re so easy to make and dress up for any occasion!
- 1 ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup butter, unsalted, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup jimmies sprinkles
- ½ cup unsalted butter, (1 stick) softened
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Line muffin tins with cupcake liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar and until combined and creamy.
- Beat in the room temp eggs one at a time. Add in the vanilla.
- Add in the sour cream until mixed in well.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients until combined, careful not to over-mix.
- Using a spoon, gently mix in the 1/2 of sprinkles.
- Fill the cupcake liners just a little over half way full and bake for about 18 minutes. Check with a toothpick in the center of a cupcake to see if it is done.
- Allow cupcakes too cool completely before frosting.
- Beat together the unsalted butter and the shortening until creamy.
- Add in the vanilla and half of the powdered sugar, beating well.
- Add in half of the milk and add in the rest of powdered sugar.
- Beat until the frosting is well combined and creamy.
- Add in the remaining milk if needed to make frosting easy to pipe if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- Vanilla Cinnamon Sugar Swirl Cupcakes
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Red Velvet Cupcakes (Cream Filled)
- Vanilla Root Beer Cupcakes (Vanilla Root Beer Frosting)