The Crispy Chicken Sandwich
If you enjoy restaurant-style chicken sandwiches, then this Crispy Chicken Sandwich is a must-try. The chicken is juicy, the seasoning is tasty, and the toppings make this sandwich even better.
I use a sweet hamburger bun to pair with this sandwich and it was a great fit.
I also used a brown sugar barbecue sauce to bring out more of a sweet flavor. Of course, you can use any barbecue sauce flavor you like, it’s just my favorite 🙂
Other toppings I added to this Crispy Chicken Sandwich are french fried onions for that extra crunch and slices of crispy bacon for added flavor.
I can’t have a sandwich without cheese. I used American cheese slices on these sandwiches. I like to add my cheese while the chicken is still hot so that it melts over my chicken. It makes every bite taste even better!
The trick to making these sandwiches flaky and crispy is in the batter. Adding water to the flour mixture and pinching the batter with your hands makes “chunks” of breading and gives the sandwich an extra crunch.
When heating your pan, make sure it’s hot enough so the oil doesn’t peel the batter from the chicken. Frying these sandwiches to a golden color before flipping reduces the risks of any breading falling off. Only flip these sandwiches once!
Check out my Recipe Page for more delicious recipes including desserts!
Here are some you may like!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into halves and pounded to 1/2 thick
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 3/4 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/2 tbsp water
- cooking oil
- french fried onions
- brown sugar barbecue sauce
- 4 slices american cheese
- bacon strips
- 4 hamburger buns
- Take chicken breasts and cut into two separate pieces.
- Pound with meat pounder until about 1/2 inch thick.
- Combine paprika, thyme, pepper, salt, and celery seed together in small bowl.
- Reserve 1 1/2 tbsp of seasoning.
- Combine flour and remaining seasoning mix. Add in baking powder. Mix well and add 3 1/2 TBSP of water and mix with hands. It will become clumpy.
- Heat large skillet filled with 1/4 inch of oil on medium heat.
- In shallow bowl, lightly beat 2 eggs.
- Take the 1 1/2 reserved TBSP of seasoning and rub it over the 4 chicken breasts.
- Dip each chicken breast in egg and then coat with flour mixture.
- Place chicken breasts in hot skillet and cover. Fry on each side (about 5/7 minutes).
- Check for doneness and set on plate with paper towel to rest.
- Place chicken breast on bottom bun, place cheese slice, barbeque sauce, french fried onions, and bacon.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g