Homemade salted caramel-filled chocolate thumbprint cookies drizzled with chocolate and topped with pecans.
Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
Thumbprint cookies are a favorite around the Holidays and these chocolate thumbprints are no exception. These cookies have a “crunch” to them but have a fudge-like chew.
Elevating this already delicious cookie is a homemade salted caramel sauce.
Salted Caramel Filling
The flavor of salted caramel pairs perfectly with a chewy chocolate cookie. These thumbprint cookies are filled in the center with a deliciously easy homemade salted caramel recipe.
The caramel sauce lasts up to 1 week in the refrigerator so you’ll have extra to eat straight out of the jar – or to fill more cookies with. 🙂
Cookies for Gift-Giving
Caramel-filled chocolate thumbprint cookies are a tasty and easy cookie to make for holiday parties. This recipe yields 24 cookies and tastes great topped with chocolate drizzle and chopped pecans.
These cookies are drizzled with a homemade chocolate drizzle. It’s easy to make and extras store great in the refrigerator! To make the chocolate drizzle, you will need:
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 tbsp of half & half
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
In a small saucepan, melt the unsalted butter and stir in the chocolate chips. Allow the chocolate chips to melt and add the half & half.
Once the ingredients have blended well, remove from the heat and stir in the confectioner’s sugar, breaking up any bits of powdered sugar that remains. Stir in the vanilla extract and allow the sauce to cool down before drizzling on the cookies.
Piping chocolate drizzle makes drizzling the chocolate easier than using a fork or spoon. It’s certainly doable to use utensils but using piping bottles makes the process even easier!
The homemade chocolate drizzle can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. This drizzle is made using half & half which reduces its shelf-life.
- 2 sticks butter, softened, unsalted
- 1 egg
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- salted caramel sauce
- chocolate drizzle
- chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the softened butter and the sugars.
- Beat in the vanilla extract as well as the egg.
- Slowly beat in the cocoa and flour mixture. Blend well.
- Roll into tablespoon-sized balls and place onto a cookie sheet.
- Using the stick end of a wooden spoon, or your thumb, gently press holes into the center of the balls.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 7-8 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool before filling.
- Make the Salted Caramel Sauce and allow it to cool to room temperature before using it to fill in the thumbprint cookies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Pinterest