Blueberry lemon bars are quick and easy to make using boxed cake mix, lemon juice, and blueberries. Glazing this delicious dessert is a lemon icing.
Boxed Cake Mix
If you’re looking for a way to spruce up your plain Jane boxed cake mix, this a great way!
Prepare the boxed cake mix with eggs and vegetable oil. Once that is mixed well, simply fold in rinsed blueberries.
Fresh Vs. Frozen Blueberries
The choice is yours when making these blueberry lemon bars! The preparation for using fresh vs. frozen is as follows:
- When using fresh blueberries, make sure to rinse them well and pat dry before folding into the cake batter.
- When using the frozen variety, do not allow them to thaw. Yep, that’s it, fold them into the cake batter completely frozen. Otherwise, your batter will turn purple.
Baking the Blueberry Lemon Bars
I like to line the bottom of my 9×9 baking dishes with parchment paper because it is so incredibly simple to remove baked goods with this method.
The parchment paper lifts right out of the pan with any mess and without the baked goods sticking to the dish.
Another way to prevent the cake from sticking in the baking dish is to use baking spray.
Baking spray differs from regular cooking spray because it has the addition of flour. It’s great when baking using tube pans and bundt pans!
RELATED: 7up Lemon Pound Cake
This two-ingredient glaze is so simple to whip up. You can use either bottled lemon juice or fresh lemon juice, it’s up to you. Stir in the confectioner’s sugar until there are no lump remaining and it is smooth.
Allow the blueberry lemon bars to cool completely before glazing. This will prevent the glaze from sinking into the cake and not giving it a beautiful sheen.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: French Macarons
Blueberry Lemon Bars
Six simple ingredients come together to make these delicious and easy lemon blueberry bars.
- 1 box white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup blueberries, rinsed
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Line with parchment paper or grease a 9x9 baking dish
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and oil together.
- Beat in the white cake mix.
- Fold in the rinsed blueberries.
- Spread evenly into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Check the center with a toothpick for doneness.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before glazing.
- To prepare glaze, combine the lemon juice4 and the confectioner's sugar until smooth.
- Pour over cooled cake.
To prevent the glaze from sinking into the cake, make sure that cake has completely cooled before glazing.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 160Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g
Nutrition calculation is a rough estimate and can vary depending on the cooking technique and the exact ingredients used. For informational purposes only.